Home Forum Ask A Member Lockwood 72T

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    archangel
    Participant

Just picked this up this morning. Looks to be in great shape. Seems like pretty good compression, clean inside the tank. Only 2 parts are readily apparent as missing for me: tiller handle and the top of the float bowl. Is there anyone that can tell me more about this model? I know nothing at all about Lockwoods and would like to know whether this appears to be basically complete with correct components. I’d also like to know what year it is, what the oil ratio should be, and what correct spark plugs for this would be. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

jim-moffatt
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your motor is a 1927 model. The 72 is 27 backwards. It is 7 hp in racing trim and about 5 hp with muffler etc.
        The carb is correct and has the air horn which is usually missing.
        All the other parts are there and correct

This model has an Eisemann magneto and the coil is almost always bad. Before proceeding with it see if the coil has continuity.
        If it doesn’t it will have to be replaced.

archangel
        Participant

Thanks, Jim. All good to know.

chris-p
          Participant

That is great! I tried to buy that too but couldn’t get a hold of any members I know out that area to pick it up for me today. She looks nice, keep us updated on how things go!

archangel
            Participant

Thanks, Chris. I am pretty pleased after a quick once over. The purchase was a little odd because the seller had me meet him at the Paugan hydro-electric dam. He claimed that he fired it up about four years ago by just putting gas in the carb bowl. I’ll post back if I get it running tickety-boo.

chris-p
              Participant

There are a lot of sellers that wont let you come to their house now Ive found.

My wife HATES it when I have strange people over to look at motors. Had a couple strange ducks a few times 😉

I like how you can still see some of the decal on the tank, she looks good enjoy her!

kevinf
                Participant

Nice! You probably have this link already but there’s a pdf of the 27 Lockwood user manual : http://www.joeoutboard.com/manuals/lock … nuals.html

Kev

archangel
                  Participant

Thanks, Kevin. No, I didn’t have that link. Thanks for the lead on the motor 😀

fastjohn
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The cover for the carb fuel bowl is missing.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Easily turned out of aluminium. It is held on with a spring clip, like Johnson. There chief engineer also designed the Johnson carburetor.

. . . . . 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.