Home Forum Ask A Member Lone star

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tinman
    Participant

US Member

I have a chance to pick up a lone star 14 v bottom commander. Rated for 780 lbs and up to a 22 hp. Are these good stable boats? Thanks.

froggy
      Participant

US Member

I had a 14 ft Lone Star boat back in the 70s and bought another in the 90s. I cannot remember the model (either a 56 or 57), but I think this was the most solid aluminum boat I have ever owned. The two Lone Star boats that I owned both had a single sheet of formed aircraft aluminum that wrapped around the bottom. It had the keel riveted to it with runners on both outer sided also riveted. It was thick enough to stand repeated groundings on oyster reefs at speed with deep scratches but nowhere near the depth of the aluminum. I had an 18 hp Evinrude on it and moved two people fast enough. I used the first one for about ten years, but sold it when I got a place down on the gulf and a bigger boat. I regretted it soon after and bought another Lone Star. It was about as easy to launch from the beach as a ramp as it floated in just a few inches of water, and even fishing alone, I never had a problem, of course, 40 years later I would use the ramps. I keep looking for a good old 56 or 57 Lone Star and will buy one again. I don’t think you can go wrong.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

I’m not familiar with Lone Star model numbers, but the 2nd boat from the right in the photo below is a 14 foot Lone Star that my friend’s dad added the homemade deck to. That’s a 1957 or 1958 25 HP Gale Buccaneer on it. It handled well, but after about 10 years of abuse, pounding waves every weekend of Minnesota summers, and a lot of pulling skiers, a couple of the ribs inside cracked and needed to be heliarc welded. Photo taken in 1968.
          Dave

[/url]

1russellislander
          Participant

Wow, What a neat picture. Thanks

Tinman
            Participant

US Member

This one needs some work and a new paint job but I think I can pick it up with a homemade trailer for $400. Looks like it might be a good project. It looks well built and the owner says it’s pretty dry inside.

joecb
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

MY 1961 14 ft. Lone Star Malibu underway with 35 HP Evinrude Lark … nice solid aluminum boat

Joe B

Tinman
                Participant

US Member

They look well built. If I can get it reasonable I’m going to pick it up. From what information I have found , it is a 1959. I bought the 18 hp 59 Johnson he had on the boat , just wasn’t for sure if I wanted the boat at the time. !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.