Home Forum Ask A Member low tension magneto question

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant
      quote Richard A. White:

Do you have one of Frank’s timing tools????
      Absolutely, hands down no better way to set the timing….

I just used Frank’s timing tool for the first time, what an exact way of setting the points, following his instructions and the Evinrude repair manual. Used my analog meter. Finishing it today and testing on my boat.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant
        quote FrankR:

Breaker points are the biggest troublemaker on those mags. BOTH sets of points have to be making contact for it to work, unlike a Universal Mag that will run just fine on one set of points (on one cylinder). If you think the points are clean, check them again. And make sure you get zero resistance across them when closed. Not “almost” zero, but zero.

I cleaned the armature base really well with acetone . Used the paper enclosed with the points to drag through the points to be sure they are totally clean ,used disposable gloves. Still get a little resistance, after zeroing my meter on right side of guage. Did it like 3 times. Bearing in mind what you said about "ZERO" The first set of points showed no resistance, like you said it must be.– Edit- finally I got it to zero. Ran great in a barrel. On the boat in the lake tomorrow for the real test.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.