Home Forum Ask A Member Lower unit 1957 Johnson 35 hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bck1
    Participant

I have started to reseal a lower unit for my engine and have come upon a snag. After removing the pinion all the roller bearings fell out. When trying to put back together I can’t seem to get all 17 bearings to insert properly.The last bearing does not seat properly and sits proud such that the pinion can’t be installed. Also how tightly should the roller bearings fit. Should they befree to rotate as the pinion spins. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Brian

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If all the rollers fell out in the first place, they have to be able to go back in.
        Just make sure there’s no foreign object behind any rollers.
        The rollers should roll when they’re all in place, but somewhat snuggly.

Prepare to be boarded!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What are you using to hold the rollers in place while reassembling? You should not use heavy grease, perhaps that is to blame for the tight fit. Frank had a great suggestion about using vaseline petroleum jelly.. It is important that whatever you use, dissolves fairly quickly once the unit starts working with regular gear lube….

need2fish
          Participant

Assembly grease. AKA Lubriplate 105.

bck1
            Participant

So I went back and with a little pressure the rollers popped into place. I had used regular axle grease to hold the bearings in place. The pinion seems to rotate freely now. Next job is to remove the shift rod seal and drive shaft seal. Thanks for all you help. Brian

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The two I worked on this summer I used automotive “cam lube” that comes with new camshafts.
                Very “sticky” and “slippery” liquid lube. Works great to keep the rollers in place as you insert them.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.