Home Forum Ask A Member Lower Unit seal removal tools questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gonecat
    Participant

Hello. I have been reading and watching a lot of information on gearcase seal removal.
      I was wondering if anyone knows the original tools / part numbers and proper removal technique as per factory back when the motors were new.
      I am particularly interested in learning of tools / methods or original tools for the 50s and 60s 5.5 , 7.5 , 9.5 and 3 hp prop shaft, gearcase and driveshaft housing seal removal.
      I know of backyard mechanic techniques that can work, but I’d rather do the job correctly and not risk breaking parts by “will nilly hammering and prying” 🙂
      Thanks
      Steve

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Being an Evinrude dealer mechanic, I bought the OMC Special Tool kit back in “The Day”. Nicely made POS. The threaded pullers quickly broke.

img060

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

This is what I have – – –

\

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I actually bought the tool from you Frank, I was soooo lucky to find a replacement for the broken part on Ebay within a week of receiving the tool. Still have it as well.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Richard, any plans to begin reproducing them?

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

No, I do not, this tool has some seriously strange threads, and as Frank already stated, those threads are seriously weak…. I am hoping for a different solution to removing these seals, but like fine wine, they take time…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I say, good for you buddy! It is so important to be careful removing these seals for the reasons you mentioned…It is so easy to damage/distort the aluminum castings these seals ride in…
                  Removing these seals has always been a dreaded chore for me as well…The seal lips tend to just bend up even when using appropriate remover tools. Once the lips have been bent up a few times, you end up resorting to trying the squish the seal housing in using a small punch….A horrible chore indeed… I am very fortunate to have had help machining a few tools that work pretty well, but it usually takes a few attempts. And, the tools are specific to a particular seal/inner opening dimension.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.