Lower unit seal replacement

Home Forum Ask A Member Lower unit seal replacement

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• jimk

Replies: 89
    Topics: 33

I have a few motors with water getting into the lower units. 1954 10 hp,1956 10 hp and a 1957 18 hp. Both 10s are Johnson’s and the 18 is a Evinrude. I think I can remove the drivesfat and propshaft seals without a special tool but being as I have to do 3 lower units the tool to do the shift shaft looks like I should have that one providing it would work for all 3. Anything else I should plan on picking up? Is there a part number for the shiftshaft removal tool? Thanks for any information! Jim

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

The tool for removing the shift rod bushing and O-ring seal is OMC #304514.

02-OMC-Bushing-Tool-304514

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by bobw.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.

jimk

Thanks for the part number. I have it on order. Now to get the seal kits on order. Never done a lower unit seal before so hoping I get it right! Thanks again, Jim

seakaye12

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

Thanks for the part number. I have it on order. Now to get the seal kits on order. Never done a lower unit seal before so hoping I get it right! Thanks again, Jim

They can be tricky and there is SO much mis-information “out there”. If you have a few minutes ….one of our members has taken the time to produce a great series of repair/resto videos on OMC engines like yours. Here’s the one that deals specifically with re-sealing a gearcase. Ben does things right. Follow his techniques and procedures and you will not go wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f93Qw0mmcP0

jimk

Thanks for the vidio! Looks to be a great help.

jimk

Got it all apart and the clutch dog looks pretty rounded. It never had kicked out of gear but I ordered a new one anyway. Gears all looked good and where the clutch dog engages looked good. Can anyone confirm I ordered the right clutch dog? Part number was 375711 but it doesnt look the same as the old one. Splines and size seem to be the same so maybe it was just redesigned? Probably should have asked here before i ordered LOL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.