Made me an offer I couldn’t refuse and an Evinrude 3 HP flywheel question

Home Forum Ask A Member Made me an offer I couldn’t refuse and an Evinrude 3 HP flywheel question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

• Steve D

Replies: 694
    Topics: 57

I went to look at a few 6 gal. gas tanks and while I was there the guy asked me if I was interested in any motors. He said he’s had them for years in the barn and never had the time to get around to doing anything with them. He tried selling them on Craigslist and got no bites so he was taking them to the dump if I didn’t take them. I asked what and how much. He showed me and said $20 for all 3 (he also threw in an old (70s-80s) Shakespeare electric trolling motor).

These aren’t necessarily motors I’d go looking for, even if I did need more projects, which I don’t. But for $20 I couldn’t see these being given a dishonorable toss onto the scrap heap. So I got an Evinrude 3 HP 3012 (no recoil), Johnson HD-25, and A-35. The HD-25 is stuck, the other 2 aren’t.

The question I have on the Evinrude 3 HP is, can I swap out the older ratchet style flywheel that’s on there now with the newer style (’56? and up) and then just use a newer style recoil assembly. Would there be any size/fitment issues upgrading that way?

Attachments:

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7495
    Topics: 1072

I’m thinking you should be able to "double" your investment on
    that deal! 😎

Prepare to be boarded!

chinewalker

Replies: 459
    Topics: 15

I may have a parts motor for the 3hp Evinrude that might donate a recoil. I’ve got three 3s and hoping to get two running this winter. I should know soon what I’ll have extras of…

Steve D

Buc, I would think the possibility is high. 😀
    Scott, thanks for keeping me in mind! sdpiazza (at) aol

destroyer85golf

Replies: 25
    Topics: 5

Man the A25 is sweet!!! I have yet to find a deal like this, I’ve only been collecting for a year though. Congratulations on the great find!

Steve D

Thanks destroyer, I’ve been doing this for a few years now and that ranks right up there for me.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

nice little 3hp…. the HD is almost a twin to my TN27

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

melugin

Replies: 260
    Topics: 32

I don’t think the recoil swap will work. Different height of flywheel, and newer recoil will have to fit inside. For this to work, the gas tank will have to be changed. I think this is where I ran into trouble.

Steve D

Ok thanks. If it involves also replacing the gas tank I might as well just leave it the way it is.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

I may have a Sportwin starter for you. I’ll check in the morning . . . 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.