Home Forum Ask A Member Magna-pull starter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m working on the starter of a Mercury Mark 15, which is much like a Mark 20. Like so many things Mercury did and continues to do, they looked around the market place to see how everybody else built a recoil stater and then did the opposite. These starters use magnets dragging on a steel plate, for the friction needed to move the pawls in and out, as the starter engages or disengages. In order to keep the pawls from vibrating in and rattling against the ratchet/flywheel nut, they came up with the device pictured. It works by friction, moving to block the pawls when the recoil returns an move out of the way when the recoil is pulled, allowing the pawls to move in. On this particular recoil, the friction between this lock-out device pictured is off somehow, so that it stays put with relation to the pulley and doesn’t function as it should. Has anybody run into this before? The small, round retainer is not threaded….it just spins when tuned with pliers….and is captured by a peened-over shaft. There seems to be no way to take it apart without destroying it. Any thoughts are welcome.

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

a few days soakingg in gas  may help it looks all crudded up.   Ultra somic cleaning would be   nice to.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

The Boat House
        Participant

They are pretty easy to take apart and clean after
          removing the starter handle and releasing the rope.
          Tubs

seakaye12
          Participant

US Member

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the explanation of the Magna Pull.  I have not (yet) had the pleasure of working on one of those.  I know that you have the manual but for the benefit of others who may be reading this thread….I have attached a copy of the Starter Chapter of my Mercury Manual.

Maybe it will help someone.

Good Luck!

Mercury-Starter-Reference

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks, Tubs, for the pictures. I think my problem is in the peened-over part, though. I will have to take it further apart than what you have there.

Thanks, Seakaye, for the manual page. Yes, I do have the manual; but I never thought to look at it, as I thought that it was not a serviceable part. And no, I didn’t look at the parts diagram either!! So it seems like I can grind the peen off and get it apart. But what seems vague is how I would peen it over again on assembly, if I ground off material. I guess I would need to have a new center shaft.

Crosbyman, I have soaked and sprayed it until the cows came home, and then some. It was originally very tight but is much better now. Still, it seems like If I could get it all the way apart, I might be able to get it VERY freed up, which may solve my ultimate problem.

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

they will lockup if you don’t have the nut in place. FACT!!!!!!!!!

to lose is no good

1 914 310 7086

Dave.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by dave-bernard.
                The Boat House
                Participant

Got me curious and I had a starter sitting
                  on the floor so I did a little checking.
                  Yours could be missing this pin.
                  If yours wasn’t made with a pin, then what Dave said.
                  Tubs

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I do have that key/pin in place. Thanks. I know that there needs to be some friction between the lock-out mechanism and the shaft or pulley. My concern is that the friction between the center shaft and the pulley itself is still a little too much, even with all the spraying, soaking and Christen Science.

The Boat House
                    Participant

Ok I think I understand now. Just the collar is
                      slipping. The shaft that its on is binding in
                      the rope pulley and that assembly isn’t made to
                      be taken apart. Just guessing that collar is loose
                      because someone ahead of you was attempting
                      to remove the shaft for the same reason. Be
                      interested in how you get it solved Bill.
                      Tubs

mercguy
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Hi Bill   When the retainer is found to be loose, simply tap on the end of the sheave shaft to additionally peen the shaft.  This tightens the collar against the retainer to provide the needed friction to keep the retainer in proper position.  Regards Bob Grubb

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.