Home Forum Ask A Member Magna-pull starter

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks, Bob. I will give that a try. I was about ready to change out the whole sheave assembly with one from what I think was a KE4; but I hate doing that kind of thing. It is essentially surrendering!

Long live American manufacturing!

green-thumbs
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A few thoughts for what they are worth…

1)  Claw hammer is for driving and pulling common nails. They are unsafe when used for other purposes. My tool collection has lead, brass. plastic, rubber, raw hide, and ball peen hammers. All are the right tool for their intended purpose, Eye protection always! !

2) Wear on sheeve Shaft may be bind up recoild

3) Brake Klean, a spray can product cuts thru thick goo instantly or sooner. I get it at Meijers grocery store automotive department.

You may be able to source either a better rewind assembly or NOS sheeve shaft. I have not worked on a recoild in a while, No fond memories.

Louis

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I tried peening over the shaft a little at a time. The lock out mechanism did start to move properly but by the time that happened, there was enough overall friction in the starter that the spring would no longer recoil it smoothly. In fact, when I turned the stater upright, to it’s operating position, it would barely recoil at all. I checked how much spring wind I had left when the recoil was fully extended and the answer was ZERO. So, scab picker that I am, I took it apart. I decided to split the collar and save the shaft. There is a lot going on there, that you can’t see until it all comes apart, like the wave washer shown in the picture. You can see some remaining corrosion on the shaft, that I can now clean up. I am thinking that if I get the pulley itself to turn virtually friction-less, then when I peen the new collar, I won’t need so much friction on IT, to make it function.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m moving at a snail’s pace on this project as I do these days, because I have so much going on that I don’t know whether to s#*t or wind my watch. However, I did manage to locate what appears to be the exact collar in McMaster Carr, and also managed to “un-peen” the end of the shaft, so I can put the new collar on it.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I cleaned the sheave shaft up thoroughly, lubed it and put the shaft and sheave assembly back together with the new collar. I must say, whatever the shaft is made of, it is very compliant. I had removed the original peening by just basically hammering it back out straight. When I put the new McMaster collar on it, it peened back over again like it was a new shaft and I had never even touched it; no cracking or anything. I just kept peening, a little at a time, until the lock-out mechanism moved as it should. I’m pleased at how easy it turned out to be, to fix it. The McMaster part number is 92415A841 and seems absolutely identical to the original little collar.

green-thumbs
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This thread SHOULD be shared!  Contact editor of Antique Outboarder.  Articles and photos sharing how to do it will help others with same problem. Editor guides and encourages the creative process. Writing is like falling into a cesspool,. once you get used to it , its not so bad.

Louis

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.