Home Forum Ask A Member Martin 40 hard starter

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Almost off-topic, but never pull an outboard rope till it breaks. If it ain’t running after 5 or 6 pulls (allowing for goof-ups), there is something wrong. Stop pulling and start over. Gas in tank? Gas turned on? Was sunk in the lake? etc, etc.

78bluestreak
      Participant

US Member

Well I spoke to Russ and his comment started with some of those hard starters….
        Wonder what that may indicate.
        any way, the motor ran after 40 minutes of pulling.
        ran out of fuel, re-filled ran nice not great.
        so next day headed out to tune. nothing. puzzled.
        the springs over the valves were longer than spec’d changed out. valves appeared to look new. turned around with pencil eraser so they move freely.
        still not turning over on third or fourth pull.
        measured coils. I have resistance of 6.5 primary to ground, secondary to ground on both coils.
        should the coil be in the 10 range for resistance?

next step? condensers. I have spark maybe not hot enough.

Tom
        Participant

US Member

Please let us know how you tested the condensers. I’ve posted this so many times, I’m sure folks are sick of hearing it, but the WICO brass can condensers are tools of the devil.

T

The Boat House
          Participant

jcrigan
            Participant

Remove the sparkplugs and see if they are damp with fuel. If they are dry then fuel is not getting that far. The hi-speed needle on the carb should be open about 3/4 turn and the low speed needle should be 1/2 turn open. This is a starting point, I think these have to be cold started on the rich side.

78bluestreak
              Participant

US Member

Our chapter member agrees.  He wrote an Outboader article stating the same.  I am transitioning away from the canned condensors.

On a side bar.  I spoke to Russ at Martin.  He gave me no clear direction to replace the condensors.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.