Home Forum Ask A Member Martin 40 prop shaft housing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    78bluestreak
    Participant

US Member

Lower unit. The housing with the oil seal indicates wear from the gears and motor head shaft. Cutting into bearing housing.
      Any knowledge on what may be worn that is allowing movement and wear in the housing.
      No chips in the gears or the oil.
      Appreciate comments.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Perhaps this photo, assuming it’s what you have, will help visualize the problem
        for others to diagnose. I’m not seeing any thrust washers that may be missing.
        How much back-lash are in the gears?

martin-40

Prepare to be boarded!

78bluestreak
        Participant

US Member

Buccaneer – no photo of yours to open, just the “attached file” indicating a photo.

it appears the shaft from the power head may have slipped down allowing the angled gear to cutting or rub the housing smooth.

where the fines would have gone is also a mystery. slight traces of the vertical rod outlined. so minor movement indeed.

I ran the motor two seasons ago for a short time.

i need to remove the power head and investigate.

maybe I can send a photo of the oil seal housing.

78bluestreak
          Participant

US Member

thank you Buc!
            this is what I have.
            I was unable to remove the lower (skag) unit to check for wear.
            I ordered a new bearing housing and bearing seal.
            my bearing housing has a flat spot where the shaft comes down.
            the new stock Russ sent does not have the flat spot. this is where I noted wear. I thought the shaft had moved down due to wear from a missing or worn part and cut into the bearing housing.
            so I replaced the seal and once the motor runs (could be a while) I’ll return to check for wear.

78bluestreak
            Participant

US Member

I was unable to remove the lower (skag) unit to check for wear.

I ordered a new bearing housing and bearing seal.

my bearing housing has a flat spot where the shaft comes down.

the new old stock Russ sent does not have the flat spot. this is where I noted wear. I thought the shaft had moved down due to wear from a missing or worn part and this was the cause of wear on the bearing housing.

so I replaced the seal and once the motor runs (could be a while) I’ll return to check for wear.[/quote]

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Is there anything on the driveshaft, such as a pin or clip through, or at the pinion gear
                that prevents the driveshaft from riding on the gear case, causing the flat spot / wear?
                As the gears wear in over time, I assume the driveshaft would drop down slightly.
                This wearing in of the gears will cause excess backlash, which is sometimes
                adjustable by shims or other means.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.