Home Forum Ask A Member Martin 75TS won’t run in “forward”

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    hiram1914
    Participant

Wise advise, but with 35 motors probably forgot which one had been out. All of the lower unit is now disassembled and there’s no indication of any damage, excessive play… yet when everything is reassembled the unit locks up. I’ll keep playing with it, comparing it with other 75s laying around and see if I can determine the problem.

The Boat House
      Participant

hiram1914
        Participant

Stupid question: How do I reinstall the pinion and gear assembly into the foot? It came out easily enough, but I must be doing something wrong. The shop manual is no help.

The Boat House
          Participant

hiram1914
            Participant

I know the correct placement of individual parts, but with the gear assembly installed (#2 in your photo) I can’t seem to get the pinion (#3) to fit. I keep pulling out the gear assembly, looking at it and measuring its depth and all seems to be as it should be, but the pinion will not slide into place?!? It’s as though the gear assembly is not deep enough in placement, although it seems to be. Suggestions???

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Is the bearing on the propshaft the same bearing, or new? Is it seated all the way?
                Are there any thrust washers in the wrong place?

Prepare to be boarded!

The Boat House
                Participant

hiram1914
                  Participant

Kept looking at Tubs’ original photo of the pinion and gear assembly. The assembly in his photo looked more recessed than mine. So, I pressed a wooden dowel against the assembly, hammered on it and the assembly settled in an extra 1/4”. Now the pinion and assembly both fit BUT the gears jam, the original problem.

Oh well, I have spare parts and they work, but I am still puzzled about what is causing the pinion and gear assembly to jam???

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I appreciated them.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.