Home Forum Ask A Member Merc 4hp serial # 2692765

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just picked up a 4hp (long shaft) ….$40 CDN not seized compression feels ok turning the fw

few chips gone on the cavitation plate and lower skeg…… I may try to weld myself as a project

Anything special I should know ? . purchased it for parts initially but I think it can be a nice runner again after I fix the recoil starter 🙂 impeller change etc…

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Without looking up the year, I am going to bet that it has steel shafts, complete with massive pits in the driveshaft seal area. Not only do they not retain gear lubricant well, the leaking lube will get into the impeller area and shorten the life of the impeller, by affecting the adherence of the rubber to the brass hub. It will run and pump great for your test run (and I assume, resale) but the gear case and/or impeller will fail in a year or two, without the due diligence that the average outboard owner just will not have. You can replace the drive shaft seal but the shaft will just tear it right up in short order. Trying to repair or replace that shaft will far exceed the value of the motor. That would strictly be a labor of love.

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Billw… thanks for the heads up on the that shaft .corrosion issue

I will certainly look into it as I work this ” keep me busy” project next winter .

Yes it is an oldy probably mid 60s yet these Canadian lake water engines (aside from rentals) never see much use or salt other than being used for occasional summer fishing trips.

I now fix up just Evinrude and Johnson stuff (winter hobby) but I was given a nice short shaft 4hp Merc and previously purchased a similar 3.9 Merc both are still in the shed.

this latest $40 investment was purely for some… parts swap in case my given 4hp needed them . The prop alone made it worth it imho.

i’ll know more when I drop that GC & check out the oil

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.