Home Forum Ask A Member Merc mark 6

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cdub718
    Participant

Need lower unit for mark 6 -any ideas where I might find one

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member

Hi,
        It always helps to include your location when you place an ad for parts. Shipping can be expensive. In addition you might have better luck using the free classified section.

viewforum.php?f=69

Chuck

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You and 90% of the people who have one…

One time I grafted an Elgin lower unit onto one. It was before there were cell phones with cameras; so I have no pictures. I am not a machinist or a good welder by any stretch; although at the time, I had use of a small lathe, where I was able to gas-weld two small shafts together, straight. It worked well and the neutral function still worked. The bonus was that the Elgin unit was a lot more robust than the Merc one, if maybe not quite so streamlined. (Sorry, Carl, but facts are facts.) I sold it to another club member, a long time ago, in a purge.

Long live American manufacturing!

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I had to tear down three MK6 lower units to collect enough good parts to make one. The lower units are pretty lousy. The plus side is that you can often find a MK6 in good cosmetic condition.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

seakaye12
            Participant

US Member

cdub Check your Private Messages. Click on the Private Message at the upper right hand area of your screen.
              Chuck

Mumbles
              Participant

It’s a bit late but last year I gave away a good Silent Six gear case. The rest of the motor wasn’t so good and it had to be taken apart with a 12 lb sledge hammer. It didn’t like the salt water.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.