Home Forum Ask A Member Mercotronic 98

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

Mumbles
      Participant

Dave, if you employ only the power supply, all of the tests are not available.

The capacitance test will not work. It requires an AC signal. R.T.

Mine uses a 7.5 volt 6 amp power supply to which produces DC voltage to the unit on demand, just like a battery would. It’s wired in to the mains coming into the unit so only one external AC plug is required. From the outside, the Merc O Tronic looks as original as the day it was made.

Merc-O-Tronic-98-Cleanup-008

Merc-O-Tronic-011

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

yes but that allows you to do all the other test at the dock.

Mumbles
          Participant

If I ever had to use it at a marina with no shore power to plug into, I do have a small inverter which could be hooked up to the boats battery to get the needed 110 AC power. The bases are covered!

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I got a battery and installed it. As soon as I turn the knob to “coil power test,” I hear the vibrator start to run. This is before I even press the test button. Is that normal? Also, without reading any directions, I hooked up a known good coil to the thing, in the same manner I would hook one up to my Stevens. Nothing happens with the meter, and I mean. NOTHING, as well as no spark, which I am assuming I should see in the little window? I tried turning the knob, which I think says something like, “increase, decrease,” but nothing. I guess I will read the “destructions,” but it is not looking good so far….

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by billw.
              • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by billw.
              RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Well, I got a battery and installed it. As soon as I turn the knob to “coil power test,” I hear the vibrator start to run. This is before I even press the test button. Is that normal? Also, without reading any directions, I hooked up a known good coil to the thing, in the same manner I would hook one up to my Stevens. Nothing happens with the meter, and I mean. NOTHING, as well as no spark, which I am assuming I should see in the little window? I tried turning the knob, which I think says something like, “increase, decrease,” but nothing. I guess I will read the “destructions,” but it is not looking good so far….

Yes once you turn the switch on, it send power to the vibrator/ points. Read the manual and be danged sure you have everything connected properly or you will fry stuff.. I can make a short instruction sheet, unless someone already has…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

The Boat House
                Participant

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Thanks Tubs…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

vibrator may be working BUT the points may be dirty. it is a sealed unit. Jeff Register has repaired them.

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, that’s how I hooked it up, both for the coil test and resistance. Just like the Stevens. Hmmm. Well, the only cost I have is the new battery. The machine was a hand-me-down from work.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.