Mercotronic 98

Home Forum Ask A Member Mercotronic 98

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4075
    Topics: 41

Cool set up indeed! Now you have two AC plugs, correct?

The Boat House

Replies: 3619
    Topics: 91

You're only as smart as the person you're talking to.

foot_doctor

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 76
    Topics: 11

Dave, if you employ only the power supply, all of the tests are not available.
    The capacitance test will not work. It requires an AC signal. R.T.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1610
    Topics: 48

The laptop power supply is a great idea. I might even have one of them kicking around. I never realized they were 7.5 volts. I always just assumed they were 12 or 5. Thanks for all the input!

Long live American manufacturing!

RICHARD A. WHITE

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1807
    Topics: 137

They are all NOT the same… be sure yours is 7.5 DC volts

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

The Boat House

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5246
    Topics: 282

Dave, if you employ only the power supply, all of the tests are not available.

The capacitance test will not work. It requires an AC signal. R.T.

Mine uses a 7.5 volt 6 amp power supply to which produces DC voltage to the unit on demand, just like a battery would. It’s wired in to the mains coming into the unit so only one external AC plug is required. From the outside, the Merc O Tronic looks as original as the day it was made.

Merc-O-Tronic-98-Cleanup-008

Merc-O-Tronic-011

Attachments:

dave-bernard

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1496
    Topics: 19

yes but that allows you to do all the other test at the dock.

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5246
    Topics: 282

If I ever had to use it at a marina with no shore power to plug into, I do have a small inverter which could be hooked up to the boats battery to get the needed 110 AC power. The bases are covered!

billw

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I got a battery and installed it. As soon as I turn the knob to “coil power test,” I hear the vibrator start to run. This is before I even press the test button. Is that normal? Also, without reading any directions, I hooked up a known good coil to the thing, in the same manner I would hook one up to my Stevens. Nothing happens with the meter, and I mean. NOTHING, as well as no spark, which I am assuming I should see in the little window? I tried turning the knob, which I think says something like, “increase, decrease,” but nothing. I guess I will read the “destructions,” but it is not looking good so far….

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by billw.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by billw.

RICHARD A. WHITE

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I got a battery and installed it. As soon as I turn the knob to “coil power test,” I hear the vibrator start to run. This is before I even press the test button. Is that normal? Also, without reading any directions, I hooked up a known good coil to the thing, in the same manner I would hook one up to my Stevens. Nothing happens with the meter, and I mean. NOTHING, as well as no spark, which I am assuming I should see in the little window? I tried turning the knob, which I think says something like, “increase, decrease,” but nothing. I guess I will read the “destructions,” but it is not looking good so far….

Yes once you turn the switch on, it send power to the vibrator/ points. Read the manual and be danged sure you have everything connected properly or you will fry stuff.. I can make a short instruction sheet, unless someone already has…

The Boat House

RICHARD A. WHITE

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Tubs…

dave-bernard

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1496
    Topics: 19

vibrator may be working BUT the points may be dirty. it is a sealed unit. Jeff Register has repaired them.

billw

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, that’s how I hooked it up, both for the coil test and resistance. Just like the Stevens. Hmmm. Well, the only cost I have is the new battery. The machine was a hand-me-down from work.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.