Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury 50 hp 1967

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’m looking at buying a 50 hp Mercury 4 cyl from 1967 serial number 2247022. It’s been sitting for some years now. I’m just wondering how hard it is to change the impeller and any other basic work that might need to be done. Do you need special tools etc. Also can anyone tell me if parts are still available?

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

if it is not a salt water motor it is no problem. common tools.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

changing impeller is a piece of cake just unbolt the lower gearcase to access the pump

absolute great engine !! check u tube for videos

owned one years ago… great troller smooth engine

do basic checks before going to far

compression ignition, carbs will need to be redone

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would make sure it has spark, before you buy it. CD ignition parts are pricey and the triggers are getting hard to find, even pricey ones. They are NLA for Mercury Marine.

To come at what Dave said from a different angle, if it was ever a salt water motor, don’t walk away….RUN, or your life will become a living hell. This is coming from a salt water Mercury mechanic who generally likes Mercurys. If it’s fresh water and has spark, it will be a great-running motor, one of the nicest sounding idlers ever built.

Long live American manufacturing!

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

I have the energizer parts in great shape if anyone needs good price.

beerman57
              Participant

BillW, I knew a Merc guy who told me about an old, white Merc counter-rotation motor, the whole motor turned counter-clockwise. He said if I ever came across to run like….

mgsolakis
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

What would be good compression on a motor like this?

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

120lbs is like new. even is what you are looking for.

mgsolakis
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

One more question, can you convert a long shaft to a short shaft and if so what years are compatible with 1967. Is it a simple lower unit change?

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is not simple at all, sorry to say. The entire drive shaft housings are different, shift shaft, drive shaft….etc. To change the drive shaft requires a good bit of gear case disassembly, which technically would involve re-shimming the pinion gear, at the very least. I’m going to be totally lazy and not look this up; but there is even a good chance that the 20" swivel bracket is longer than the 15". In a lot of cases, the 20s had shock absorbers and the 15s didn’t. The 15" stuff is pretty rare to find, too, in my experience….

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.