Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury 50 hp 1967

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks Bill, I thought it might be a no go. So if I measure from the bottom of the anti-cav plate to the part of the transom clamp where the motor sits it should be 20" for a long shaft and 15" for a short shaft. Also by the sounds of it, if it has the shock absorbers it’s a long shaft.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

you need to find a long shaft motor and change the powerhead only. well into the 70’s interchange.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think Dave means find a short shaft, because you want to convert to short, right? That would sure be the "simple" way, to find another whole engine! Anyway, I looked at the parts list and it appears there were no shocks in the serial range for at least, early ’67, either long OR short shaft. However, the swivel bracket is still different for short and long. I have tried doing some of these types of things in the past and it ends up being a nightmare. The point is, there is no OMC-like way to do it.

Long live American manufacturing!

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member

yes you are right.

mgsolakis
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

So I measured the length of this motor- it’s 17" from the clamp to the top fin and 21" from the clam to the bottom fin. I assume this is a long shaft am I correct?

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If by bottom fin, you mean the plate just above the prop….and that’s 21", yeah, that would be a long….

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.