Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury aluminum prop

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

If you have access to a sand blast cabinet, a quick once over will give the aluminum a nice profile for the primer/paint to grab hold of.

The blast cabinet I have access to at work is a pretty powerful one, so I take care not to linger in any one spot.The heat generated could warp the blades and/or thin them out along the edges.

Once blasted, I coat with epoxy primer and a urethane top coat. you are unlikely to have these coatings on hand so just use an etching primer with a rattle can for finish, then touch it up whenever it looks in need.

captchuck
      Participant

Never heard the word ‘penurious’ before. Not to hijack this post but what does it mean? When I tried looking it up the definition I got did not fit your sentence. Being an old man I must have missed it in school some 50 years ago.

wedgie
        Participant
          quote CaptChuck:

Never heard the word ‘penurious’ before. Not to hijack this post but what does it mean? When I tried looking it up the definition I got did not fit your sentence. Being an old man I must have missed it in school some 50 years ago.

probably an auto correct error 😉

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

This is what I found – – – 😕

wedgie
            Participant

I’m guessing Tubs meant to type "porous"

The Boat House
              Participant

Nope, I’m penurious.
                Its why my hobby is antique outboards.
                There all I can afford. 😉

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a Michigan PJ-18 I polished up. It was really crusty and pretty beat up when I got the prop. I sanded with my orbital palm sander and 120 grit, hand sanded with 220 grit, and hand polished with White Diamond. It will get dull after running it a bit, and you do have to keep up on it to keep it shiny. It does look nice when it’s polished though.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

Looks good But I would use a washer under the nut before you loose it.

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ya, that’s a good idea Dave. It can’t go anywhere unless the hub let’s go, but if that happened it could possibly slip off there in reverse or slowing down. I usually use the regular cone type prop nuts which eliminates that problem.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.