Home Forum Ask A Member Mercury KG7 parts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    destroyer85golf
    Participant

This weekend I was cruising the Facebook for sale boat motors. Because as I stated before, my wife thinks it’s junk… and I like sleeping on the couch.. anyway I saw a merc for sale so I decided to pop the picture up, and at the bottom it looked like a pointy lower unit. So I sent the pic over to my dad, and we made plans to go pick it up. Cause my mom doesn’t share our enthusiasm , I figured I might as well get him in trouble too. So we get to the guys house, and there is a KG7 on a q tower! Score, I don’t think dad could throw the 100 bucks at the guy fast enough . Even had the bottom cowl with it. The motor has good compression, and everything looks great other than no spark. Which leads me to the question, does anyone know where to get coils, points and condensers for it? This winter my dad, my brother and myself will be building a hydroplane to put this thing on. He’s 15 and super excited to get into the hobby.

Attachments:

mercuryman
      Participant

You can’t get those parts anymore I will give you your money back for the motor.

destroyer85golf
        Participant
          quote mercuryman:

You can’t get those parts anymore I will give you your money back for the motor.

Hahaha you are the third guy to say that!!

mercuryman
          Participant

The points haven’t been available for a long time and just last year new coils and no longer available. There are some military surplus coils for sale on Ebay by Big Rich they will fit the mercury Bendix magneto. The high tension connection is different and you must rig up a connection. Unless the points are broken they can be cleaned up. I like to use 400 wet or dry paper and make them shine the wipe with dry stiff paper. If you have a ohm meter they should read 1 ohm or less. You may not need coils pull the flywheel and check them out.

mercuryman
            Participant

Getting a old Mercury to run isn’t always easy. You can have 120 psi compression, great spark and a good carburetor and a mercury still may not start. A mercury has ball and roller bearing on the crankshaft and it needs a good oil seal on each end of the crank to hold crank case pressure. Over time these seals get hard and won’t seal. The seals are available but a little difficult to change.

destroyer85golf
              Participant

I appreciate the tips, dad pulled the flywheel, the coils are cracked. He didn’t get much further than that. Someone had already been in there, as I guess is to be expected with a motor of that age. They “ bubba’d a few wires. But the coils will definitely need replaced.

mercuryman
                Participant

Well the coils on Ebay are $14.99 plus shipping if you need help wiring them let me know.

rpenn
                  Participant

Hi Mercuryman,

I got two new coils on Ebay. They have two circular solder points in the center on the side of the coil. I assume these are for the secondary and should be connected to the spark plug wire? Is this correct? Do you have instructions, diagram or pix you could send?

Roger

seakaye12
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
                      quote mercuryman:

Well the coils on Ebay are $14.99 plus shipping if you need help wiring them let me know.

I recently bought a couple of those $15.00 coils. I think I saw a post from you on the other board and decided to pick up a couple. Any tips you have on how to adapt the wiring….let me know. Looks "somewhat easy" but if you have already done it….I would appreciate the advice.

Chuck

seakaye12
                      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.