Home Forum Ask A Member MK55 coil mounting location?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    beerman57
    Participant

Inside the mag is a big pile of brown goo where the coil should be, it sure would help to have an idea where the mounting bolt(s) are. It’s a 1958, serial #1138013. What a shame, the rotor and cap look like new, but I’ll bet they are original, going by how #1, 2 and 3 pistons look.

jasonh
      Participant

The saftey wired allen key set screws coming out the front of mag hold coil in. They wedge laminate against housing. Have to remove saftey wire and loosen these set screws. Be sure to take note of how the saftey wire is done and redo it after you replace coil.

beerman57
        Participant

Thanks Jason, hey that will make it "easier" to get the pile of goo out, not having to dig under that mess for a bolt. I did a MK30 several years ago, but had forgotten that.

beerman57
          Participant

Goo (coil) is out. Should I try to get the armature out of it? Points and condenser are out too. If I try to disassemble the mag to soak it in acetone (seems to cut the goo), in the top there are 3 bolts holding a housing around the shaft, if I pull that housing there won’t be an explosion of parts, right? I have a parts manual, but they aren’t as good as the more modern "exploded view" parts lists.

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

no just bearings which I would replace. and while you are at it replace the drive bearing also. be carful not to damage the splines when tapping it out use wood leather or plastic hammer.

beerman57
              Participant

Thank God acetone cuts this "stuff", of course after the coil was out there was still a lot of cleaning to do. So new coils come with the armature through the center of the coil? I’m going after the armature, it’s just a little more acetone to soak it free.

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

no the laminent is part of the coil.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.