Home Forum Ask A Member Model 4371 Evinrude Sportwin 1941 3.3 hp

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member

I used 2 to make one, one had destroyed mag. I have good spark and it runs but…yeah just like life there is always a but.

It is a poppet valve motor, so there is only one carb adjustment. This motor likes to run with that needle in the 6 oclock position with closed being a very cozy next door neighbor at 7 oclock. I dont think it gets up to WOT, but I dont know as I have never ran one before..

It will idle at what best to be described as ok, but not as low as I would think this small a motor should. I am planning on pulling the mixer to go over it once again just in case I missed something…

The gasket above the poppet leaks a bit Going to try to clean the orifice under the poppet and check the poppet itself to see if I can see anything out of the ordinary… I did not the first time so that is why I am asking…

What else should I look for? It is pumping water as mist is exiting out the slits, but goodness it is warm back there, meaning the muffler.

Looking at the drawing it looks to NOT be a rubber impeller.

Thanks

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’ve had a couple of examples of this model Sportwin. They don’t pump a lot of water, a mist or drip is about all you will see back there. More or less a damp spit.

They do not wind out very fast, although rated for 4000 RPM. I had a 4371 with a weedless lower unit, and I’d say it was rather unimpressive as far as speed was concerned. It was a quiet runner, and started easily once it was tuned up, but yes the mixer setting doesn’t have much range, and that poppet cover gasket always seeped until I used silicone on it.

When received, the motor would start with some coaxing, but not run very well…..or strong…. when I disassembled it, it was discovered that one piston had been installed with the deflector facing the wrong way. Great, there’s the problem…. except installing the piston correctly did not seem to provide the boost in performance that I was expecting….. I then cleaned out the muffler box, there was a lot of carbon-based crud built up in there, but I think all I accomplished with that job was to make the motor lighter…..Yes, metal impeller, never wears out unless…. ummm. I forget how….

Good luck with it. Hope this helps.

Best,
        PM T2

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Thanks Chris…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.