Home Forum Ask A Member Motor ID

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tom-c
    Participant

Can someone tell me what year or how old this motor is?

Mumbles
      Participant

Mid eighties. I’d say ’85.

If you are thinking of buying it, check it out very carefully as those motors were initially run on 100:1 fuel mix. OMC had dealers remove the 100:1 decal on them and replace it with a 50:1 decal when they came in for servicing. Doing warranty repairs on 100:1 motors almost sent OMC into bankruptcy.

tom-c
        Participant

Thanks Tubs. 85 was my guess too.. it’s mine. Got it at an estate sale. I cleaned the carb checked the water pump and compression. It runs great!

The Boat House
          Participant

Wasn’t me Tom.
            Mumbles is the man on that one.

tom-c
            Participant

Sorry :-). Thanks Mumbles!

chinewalker
              Participant

US Member

Post 1980 OMC motors use a 10 letter word code to give the year. The Third and Second to last characters in the model number denote the year, using the word INTRODUCES, where I is 1, N is 2, etc.

Those are good little motors. They share some basic architecture with the old Johnrude 3hp models.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, these 3/4hps went through some silly changes before they once again became simplified with simple OMC universal magnetos…Seeing these engines with CD2 was overkill for sure…
                  Later on in the 80s, the OMC engineers must have been "hitting the pipe" for sure….Some of those crazy 3/4hp designs were way overdone, hard to work on, and didn’t run very well….Not to mention, more expensive to produce than this simple engine Tom has pictured here…

kees
                  Participant

International Member - 2 Years
                    quote Tom C:

Can someone tell me what year or how old this motor is?

I did a search on, … "The ReproDecal-FX Inc. eBay Store" … website
                    and they have a 4,5 hp model from 1984 and a 2 hp model from 1985 with the
                    same decal design as your motor
                    your choice ! 😉

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m going with 1985 due to the decals/graphics. Johnsons were painted in battle ship grey for one year only: 1984

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.