Home Forum Ask A Member Motor Value?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    swamp yankee
    Participant

Wondering what I should ask for a price for the now running jw-22, comes with a “59” parts motor thats now missing the prop and some screws, its carb was full of powdered fuel and It seemed seized, but the head was good. Fuel tank and the rest of the parts all look pretty good. I couldn’t quite get the 59 face plate to work on the 67, thats the only thing missing on the running motor, did seem to function fine when I finally got her done. Need to build up the kitty to get a boat for spring.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have pick-up some between 40-70$ CDN…. with a second PARTS one which may be fixed …. my max for the 2 would be 100$ cdn if compressions are good (75+)

small JW trollers are in good demand in fresh water country and they replace a good set of oars/paddles 🙂 in case the bigger engine fails

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by crosbyman.
        swamp yankee
        Participant

I was a bit concerned about the 24:1 mix these days, most of the fresh water bodies near me are not very large, figured they might get banned at some point the way the energy sector and climate is moving.

The Boat House
          Participant

swamp yankee
            Participant

Looks like an interesting product, might have to look into that, those seem to run nice

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

I’ve heard a few lakes have banned 2 stroke motors, but I don’t think we will see much more of that because most people (non-collectors) are updating to 4-stroke anyway. I see fewer 2-strokes out on my lake every year (except at my dock!). Your JW uses so little gas that pollution of the water from the oil should be insignificant.

One of the most notable lakes to ban 2-strokes is Lake Tahoe in Nevada. When they were banned, the water patrol continued to use their (new at the time) Evinrude e-tec 2 strokes. I don’t know if they are still in use today.
                Dave

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I his my understanding that ETEC 2 strokes have been cleaner than 4 strokes when you consider some folks dumping their annual 4 stroke oil changes in sewers and nature..

ETEC’s burning bio XD-100 met EPA standards long time ago back in 2005

Unfortunately the 4 stroke Voodoo’S spoke louder and the 2 strokes

different strokes for different folks .. they say 🙂

swamp yankee
                  Participant

I also heard heard the etecs burned hardly any oil, no first hand experience with those though. I did have a newer tohatsu 6 4stroke on my sailboat and I was not a fan

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by swamp yankee.
                    Mumbles
                    Participant

Just doing some math here and 3 oz. of oil to a 128 oz. US gallon gives a fuel mix ratio of 42.6:1. That seems like a pretty lean oil ratio to use in a sleeve bearing motor which originally called for 16:1 or 24:1 mix depending on which manual you read. 3 oz. to an old 160 oz. Imperial gallon would be scarier yet at 53.3:1, which is pretty close to what modern high speed, high powered outboards use.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ETECS do burn bio oil xd-100 but…my 75HP used maybe 600 hrs in 15 years has not finished it’s 2nd gallon of oil ….. maybe it’s 3rd gallon but no more

it mixes a small portion in the gas feed but I believe it is mostly to protect injectors (3) and to prevent carbon build up

exhaust ports are always closed when fuel is injected so no unburnt fuel goes out the window (like old 2 strokes)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.