Home Forum Ask A Member Mounting speedometer pitot on an aluminum boat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’m about to mount a speedo pitot on my 1959 Crestliner but I’m hesitant to drill the needed holes through the aluminum hull. Has anyone got alternative ideas for mounting, like gluing, etc? Anyone had experience mounting it direct to the hull – any leaking issues? Ways to effectively seal the holes?

dave-bernard
      Participant

with the glues today glue a block of wood then screw it on. (Flex Glue) ??

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I had several diff. depth sounders over 17 years on my rig. all with newly drilled holes to line up the mounting brackets with all past holes no longer needed plugged with JB weld.

never had any issues you could also JB weld your speedo bracket with no holes at all. it should hold fine

if you go with screws install your speedo bracket with silicone

jmho

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
          lindy46
          Participant

I had several diff. depth sounders over 17 years on my rig. all with newly drilled holes to line up the mounting brackets with all past holes no longer needed plugged with JB weld.

never had any issues you could also JB weld your speedo bracket with no holes at all. it should hold fine

if you go with screws install your speedo bracket with silicone

jmho

Does the JB Weld hold up underwater? I was thinking about it but didn’t think it would last long underwater.

outbdnut2
            Participant

If your Crestliner has transom wood covering most of the outside of the transom like the Vikings and Voyagers do, screw a piece of thick sheet metal to the lower part of the transom wood off to one side and mount the pitot farther down that piece of metal. I have done this on two boats.
              Dave

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

never had problems

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

lindy46
                Participant

If your Crestliner has transom wood covering most of the outside of the transom like the Vikings and Voyagers do, screw a piece of thick sheet metal to the lower part of the transom wood off to one side and mount the pitot farther down that piece of metal. I have done this on two boats.
                  Dave

Yes it does. I’ll try that idea.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

Dave

Yes it does. I’ll try that idea.

Use sheet steel or aluminum at least 1/8 inch thick.
                    Dave

lindy46
                    Participant

Here’s how I mounted it. Used JB Weld between transom and plate. Seems solid.

IMG_20211117_163528

joecb
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just a thought…. the 3M brand double sided foam tape that automakers now use to stick emblems and trim to the outside of cars is amazing stuff. My experience , will stick anything to anything, permanently! . Available from auto parts stores.

Joe B

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.