Home Forum Ask A Member Muggyweld die cast soldering rod

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    george-emmanuel
    Participant

US Member

Has anyone used the brand MuggyWeld soldering rod for die cast? It is one of the few that advertises all the types metals the solder works with. It is very low temp and might be ideal for our hobby. The kits are pricey at about $100, but the demonstrations indicate it works.

Feedback??

George

reivertom
      Participant

US Member

Here’s a good video about them. I don’t think Muggyweld is in this though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIKsDfRAcs

Evinrude 25
        Participant
          todd281
          Participant

I have tried it , not impressed, ok I guess for something not critical, but not something I would want to use on a outboard where when it fails, your going to paddle or swim home. Just my 2 cents.

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t know about the Muggy Weld stuff, but assume that it’s the same as the “how too” video… the pop can welding demo. I have used this rod to make several repairs , some rather structural. Understand that this rod is basically zinc. It’s significantly harder than aluminum and after a short while the color does not match alum, it’s darker grey. It takes practice… heat control and cleanliness are the secrets to success. Clean all parts well, I keep a dedicated stainless steel wire brush just for this work… CLEAN. .It’s fun to play with, and practice. The materials are inexpensive.. proficiency will prove handy.

Joe B

george-emmanuel
              Participant

US Member

Muggy Weld is an American company and their product is a bit different. They use a separate flux and the temp required is much less than the other products. They advertise it can be used for diecast, where the cheaper stuff doesn’t state that. Their kit is close to $100, which if it does what it is supposed to do, is worth it. I’ve got a American Swiss mag on a 1914 Wisconsin that the cam lever is missing due to breakage. I’ve fabricated an aluminum replacement but JB Weld wouldn’t stick to the die cast base.

I think I’m going to splurge and do some tests on some old scrap carbs to see how it does and I’ll report on the success or failure.

George

joecb
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

George, please keep us informed as to how it works out.

Joe B

kirkp
                  Participant

Pretty sure that someone on the forum has tried these type rods. Maybe Tubs or Mumbles.

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

I’ll have to get some of that next time I go to my local Harbor Freight store and play around with it. On larger pieces, has anyone tried a MAPP gas torch?
                      Dave

The Boat House
                      Participant

I’ll have to get some of that next time I go to my local Harbor Freight store and play around with it. On larger pieces, has anyone tried a MAPP gas torch?
                        Dave

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.