Home Forum Ask A Member My Seized Johnson A2109

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Greg Lewis
    Participant

Excellent. Brass would be much better than the steel. Thanks for your information.

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Put another way,if you can find a steel one,that would be the accurate replacement for your motor.The brass would be easier to find,but not “correct”

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Brass is certainly better and nicer than plated steel. However, nickel plated steel is correct for that motor. Correct parts are a very big deal to some collectors and the early A down tube is one of those parts. I’m not normally a stickler for correct parts, but this is one of the motors where I would try to find them. Serial number is important to Johnson A collectors. Your motor is only 1602 motors into production of one of the most important outboards in history. I would definitely use a brass down tube if I couldn’t find the correct steel tube, but I would always be on the lookout for the correct one. That’s just my two cents.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

pm-t2
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The driveshaft tube from an A-25 will fit on the earlier A, but it is slightly different in the cavity where the crankshaft stub fits into, so you will have to grind some relief on one or two of the internal features of the shank that the powerhead sits on top of. I have Johnson #3999, and I ran into the same problem with the original steel driveshaft tube being rusted through/broken. I had a parts A-25 so I used the brass driveshaft tube off of it, but had to do create some clearance in the A-25 parts before the powerhead would sit down properly. Hope it helps.

I still have my broken driveshaft tube in a drawer, some day I may get ambitions and figure out how to fix it by replacing the steel with a stainless steel tube and putting it back on #3999 where it belongs.

Best,
            PM T2

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.