Home Forum Ask A Member Mystery 1941 Johnson Seahorse

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    CentMassBass
    Participant

Yes still has 2 cylinders

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I can see how he mistook it for a MS. Glad Lloyd solved the mystery!
        And yes, very nice looking motor!

MS203-1

Prepare to be boarded!

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

“Yes still has two cylinders” 🤣🤣🤣

HS20 indeed! Lots of HDs out there but not many HS models! That is a really nice example! Take care of that baby!

CentMassBass
          Participant

Opposedtwin and buccaneer, thanks to both and lloyd for the confirmation on the model for the motor.

Otwin .. you say rare motor should I put this on the back burner and look for another motor to push my boat? My intention is to use the motor a few times a month till fall.

For all watching waiting to chime in. How do I test for spark? And where do I go for guidance with this old outboard?

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

I believe the only difference in the HD (deluxe) and HS (standard) is the HD had the rewind.
              Guess most people back then probably paid the extra $5 or whatever is was, for the rewind.

Prepare to be boarded!

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You’ll need this to understand the carb. http://pochefamily.org/outboard/CarbService.html

2fast4me
                Participant

What the ????? Where are all the required dents in the tank and the lower cowls.

2Fast4Me

kerry
                  Participant

US Member

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they sell a good inline spark tester. https://www.harborfreight.com/90-in-line-spark-checker-63593.html Attatch, put mag/throttle lever to Start, pull rope, look for light. Easier if you have a helper to pull or look. Minimal lighting helps. NO GAS IN CARB/MOTOR!!!! Months ago I got a Lightwin 3hp at an estate sale, looked great. Ignored my own personal rules, mixed up some fuel and put in a quarter tank. Was about to head outdoors to the test tank, remembered I forgot to test for spark first. Hooked the tester up, advanced the mag and gave her a pull. After very quickly shutting it down, I realized a few things. 1. I am a bonehead sometimes. 2. Don’t rush things. 3. A few seconds of running really fills a two stall garage with smoke very well. 4. She ran great. 5. Didn’t check the petcock to make sure it was closed before adding gas. While airing out the garage I test tanked her. Great runner, pumped good.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

CentMassBass
                    Participant

Thanks to everyone for comments and input. Spoke with my mother about the motor. She remembers her father and older brother purchasing it when he (her brother) came back from WWII. They built a flat bottom boat (I came across all of the jigs they used to build the boat in the attic). Mom believes the motor was bought new from Sears. They ran it for fishing and fuck hunting till 1966 when her brother started to build a house. Grandpa was a carpenter built lots of the houses in the area we live. I still have all of his carpentry tools. At the end he did custom screening. He kept everything thing in excellent condition. He passed in 71’ year before I was born.

CentMassBass
                      Participant

Buccaneer- I came across the same info last last night about the difference between hs-20 and hd-20.

This is kind of really cool!! My grandma wouldn’t let touch that motor!!

She passed in 2008 it took me 12 years to open the box the motor was in.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.