Home Forum Ask A Member Mystery Neptune

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kevinrude
    Participant

Well, a mystery to me anyway.

I am planning on going to see this motor this weekend. Sellers pictures are below or attached, I not quite sure how this new system works yet.

I am a little confused as to what it might be. The rope sheave is labelled Neptune Twin with a model number of OB2c. According to Mssr. Hunn, Neptunes labelled OB2c were Motorgos sold by Sears. But, as noted above, the sheave is labelled Neptune not Motorgo.

Also, somewhere on the transom bracket I think (it is hard to tell from the seller’s picture), there is another number labelled OB15-140B which, I suppose, could be a part number but maybe not.

So, any ideas as to what this is? OB2c, which is supposed to be Sears, is a 1931 2.75HP. Is that what we’re looking at here?

Thanks.

flint-neptune-1

flint-neptune-2

flint-neptune-3

bayham3261
      Participant

I bought an OB2 last year to restore and it came with a box of spare parts. One of the spare parts was a flywheel with an OB2c stamped similar to your’s. I showed this to Muncie expert and he thought it was part of an early production run before they made a proper Motorgo casting. I notice the one in the picture has an underwater exhaust… not sure if that was original. I understand that the OB2c is a 1931 model. most of the parts have part numbers… the rope sheave is the correct model if it is original.

IMG_4137

A little information is a dangerous thing!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by bayham3261.
        • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by bayham3261.
        kevinrude
        Participant

Thanks for the response.

You might be on to something with that early production run idea. When I first saw the sheave, I thought “oh, this is a Motorgo with a replaced rope sheave”, but then I noticed NEPTUNE on the gas tank. But, if like you said, the company had some extra ones lying around after getting the Motorgo-specific sheaves over to Sears, then it would make sense that they would ship them to dealers whenever a customer came in looking for a replacement.

Also, thanks for the tip on the underwater exhaust. I’ll have a close look at to see if I can tell if it is a homemade modification.

Nice resto, btw! Wow!

bayham3261
          Participant

Thanks for the complement. it was a fun restoration. i posted it to youtube if you want to see a test run. haven’t got it out to the lake yet.

https://youtu.be/K2sQwx7tVf0

A little information is a dangerous thing!

kevinrude
            Participant

Sounds as good as she looks!

kevinrude
              Participant

PIcked it up today. Looks to be complete. Spark advance lever is broken, so I will likely be in contact with Neptune Ned soon. Or my welder to see if he can put it back together.

The underwater exhaust looks like it was put on at the factory. It appears to be the same material as the exhaust can. Both have greened with age. Copper? I’ll post some pictures when I have an opportunity to have a better look. The bottom of the exhaust leg has some coiled metal, the last few inches of which are unwinding. I’ve seen this kind of exhaust somewhere else but can’t recall where.

Skeg, prop and gas tank all look good. Compression feels good.

Oh, and the guy has a 1971 MG for sale if anyone is interested: he says it runs and drives, he has reupholstered the seats and the passenger side panel (this is what he did at GM before retiring). It has rust like most British vehicles of this or any era. $1,600. Send me a PM if interested and I will put you in touch and send you some pics.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.