Home Forum Ask A Member Mystery trailer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Anyone recognize this trailer? The winch says "Mastercraft Winch no (something)" so I suspect it’s a Mastercraft trailer but I want to verify. I can’t get the wheels off (yet) and I can’t see how the bearings are serviced.

The keel guide is removable. There’s a slight wave in the main beam but I don’t see any cracks. I’m thinking about sliding a pipe inside of the beam for added strength? I’m also wondering what the original bunk setup looked like?
      Thanks for any help,
      -DK

Attachments:

david-bartlett
      Participant

David,

Sure looks like a Mastercraft. Mine has a similar rear axle/spring setup. Rides really well. I can send you a few pics of my rollers on mine if it will help.

Watch that coupler. Those tend to unscrew if not done right. Been there and done that.

Looks like someone already changed out the rear axle. Mastercraft had odd size seals and bearings. Hard to come by $$$.

davidk
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

David-
          I’d be glad to see any pictures you have. Well, not of your cat or anything, but of the trailer.

The axle and hub don’t look like any I’ve seen. Are your original? I’ll get more photos of mine.
          Thanks for your response.
          -DK

david-bartlett
          Participant

David,

My trailer axle is original. I got busy today and didn’t get to the pictures. I will try to get some pics in the morning. If the axle is original be prepared for a goose chase finding bearings and seals. They’re unique. But it really does haul beautiful.

Harley Snipes
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

RE: Mystery Trailer

Hey guys, I just picked up a 1957 Mastercraft Trailer Inc. trailer (Model BA8-750) with a 55-57 Larson Crestliner 15′ Buccaneer. I reconditioned the axle to bring it home and wanted to share the part numbers for the 1.5″ axle with straight 1″ spindles:

Original Bearings – Bower 07100 (I reused these as they were in great shape) The Timken 07100 appear to fit, but I did not try to press in the bearing race.
              Original Seal – Unknown – Used 1 CR Seals PN 14832 single lip and 1 Carry-On PN 495T double lip (The Carry-On was off the shelf at Tractor Supply and came 2 to a kit. I wanted to test the single lip CR Seal which my local NAPA had in stock. Both seals measure 1.5″ ID and 1.987″ OD and both seals went in fairly easy with a vice and a similar diameter socket.

The hubs are aluminum (Casting #58000) with 4 studs and fit new off the shelf trailer wheels.

Harley – Georgia

joecb
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a trailer with the same axle, spring , fender set-up. I didn’t know the manufacturer, now I guess it’s a MasterCraft. Unfortunatly, mine does not demountable wheels, it has 8 inch wheels where the bearing hub is integral with wheel. The bearings and wheels are rated for highway use. Finding a spare wheel/ hub/ tire unit was a challenge. Finally found what is used on log splitters and such for over the road transport.
                A word of caution… keep a close eye on the axle ends of the two trailing arm struts where they bolt to the axle, look for fatigue cracks at the point where that tube strut is flattened. I had one fail on the road to Constantine two years ago. Also found cracks at the same location on the other arm.

Joe B

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.