Home Forum Ask A Member Need an OMC carb needle clip

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    phil-b
    Participant

I just realized I’m going to need to pull the carb on a 1959 Electric Start Fastwin project I’ve been (slowly) working on for two years (I’ve just finished wiring up a new harness for it), to hook up the choke solenoid. When I got it, I opened up the carb, and found a new rubber tipped needle, but without the retaining clip (it also had a carbon "suppressor" spark plug wire), and I remember I was lazy and just bent a paper staple in the right shape. I probably also used model airplane dope on the old float, which there has since been reported to fail… So maybe I should just get a new BRP kit with a plastic float?

amuller
      Participant

You can probably get a clip from a mower shop or any sort of small engine place. They are all pretty similar.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

A similar clip was used on several automotive carbs too. I’ve seen motors with the clip left off that work fine too.
          Dave

amuller
          Participant
            quote outbdnut2:

A similar clip was used on several automotive carbs too. I’ve seen motors with the clip left off that work fine too.
            Dave

Yes, most of the time it doesn’t matter. The issue is that occasionally a rubber-tipped needle will stick in it’s seat and "no gas." Metal tipped needles don’t have the clip as the are far less likely to stick (but a lot more likely to leak). Of course, there are setups with metal needles and rubber seats.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.