Home Forum Ask A Member Need Help finding replacement binnacle remote control for Johnson V4 90 hp.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tynkertoi
    Participant

I have been working with the folks at BMR and they finally tossed their hands in the air and suggested I contact you.

On the back of a 1978 Boston Whaler I acquired is an older model outboard that runs well. The binnacle mounted single lever throttle / shift control is struggling and I need to get a replacement. The unit has some broken fasteners keeping disassembly and repair out of reality. So, I am looking for a replacement device that will work.

Here is what I know about the motor:
      • It is a V4 Johnson Outboard that is a 90hp VRO with remote steering, electric start, tilt and trim.
      • The cannibals have visited over the years and a few things are ‘different.’
      o The VRO unit was removed and the proper fuel pump added to now run off pre-mix
      o The tilt / trim unit was replaced with what I guess to be a used unit, but the motor ID tag was not transferred. There is no ID tag.
      • We have searched the engine and found a single freeze plug in the block over the top of the port cylinder. There are no numbers
      • We have ID’d the block casting number to be 39624468L.

Here is what I know about the remote throttle / shift unit:
      • It is a single lever unit with a trim switch at the top of the lever @ the end of the handle
      • In the case, is mounted a key ignition switch that has 6 terminals
      • Inside the case seems to be another switch that I would expect to be a neutral lockout switch. That switch has three wires, two that come from the engine wire harness and one to the ignition switch.
      • There is an open hole on the case that had nothing in it.
      • There seem to be 3 wire harness that come from the engine.
      o One seems to be a 3 wire harness that is for the tilt / trim switch
      o One is rather large with many conductors that seem to go several places. Have not disassembled yet until I have a better idea ‘where I’m going.’
      o The third one seems to be a two wire harness, but it is not clear where it goes.
      • Finally, there is a two wire harness coming out the bottom of the shifter assembly, one wire connects to the ignition and one to a large yellow wire in the large main wire harness
      • On the dashboard is a tachometer and a voltmeter, both of which are connected to the engine wiring.

I am not looking to ‘restore to vintage,’ merely trying to make it work dependably. So, I really don’t care if there is such a thing as an ‘aftermarket’ unit that might fill the gap. Also, if there is a shift / throttle unit that can be used with an external ignition switch, I could deal with that also as long as careful disassembly, tagging and replacing will get me there . . . maybe with some help from a wiring diagram.

Please let me know if you can help or if you need more information. I will try to attach pictures, but don’t know if they will come along.

IMG_1527

IMG_1532

IMG_1533

IMG_1558

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I suspect you have an OMC control part number 174694 of 1988 vintage My scanner isn’t functioning or I would send a picture..

Parts list is on marineengine.com website (under 1988 Accessories)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by frankr.
        frankr
        Participant

US Member
          Tynkertoi
          Participant

Frankr,, thanks for the help. I have come to a different answer, but you put me in the right direction. I found the 174694 unit was about the 3rd in a string of designs that OMC used over the years. I found a new-in-box 174694 as well as a predecessor design, 173646, in a marina in Canada. This series of remote controls is now replaced by the current BRP 5006182 which will work in my application. The cables fit, the tilt / trim and neutral lock out switch is there, plus that is an adjustment for throttle friction as well as a neutral warm-up feature.

But this version of the remote control did not have the ignition switch that my original unit has. Further research brought me to the BRP 5006186 current unit that includes the ignition switch with a tether. This is actually an upgrade for me. All I need to do is work out the ignition switch pin-outs to work with my system and I should be good.

These new BRP units seem to be designed to work with new E-Tech system engine features that I don’t have. But, they also seem to retrofit back to my vintage 90hp machine. Although I still don’t know the year and model number of my motor, keeping it operating is just seems to be a matter of understanding the systems,

Thanks again for the response. Wanted to get this information back on the site in case it is useful to someone else.

Tynkertoi

ede
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I did not read the whole thread. Do you have any idea of part numbers? Do you have a parts diagram? I do have an inventory of parts, but inventoried by part number. I can copy pages from parts book if that will help you determine what you need. I can do this upon return from the Tomahawk meet. Advise
              Ed Elliott Vinton, VA aomci member

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by ede.
              Tynkertoi
              Participant

Thanks for the offer, Ed. But I think I am beyond parts replacement for this unit. The screw or bolt that holds the handle to the main shaft was missing when I bought the boat and seems to have broken off. I can see the broken end and it seems to be still holding the handle to the shaft. I have no way of getting the handle off. I could destroy a few things and get to the shaft and bold that would need to be replaced, but I would end up with more broken parts than reusable. It is time for a new remote unit and the current BRP production units seem like they will work once I get the ignition switch wiring sorted out.

Thanks again!

Tynkertoi

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would try to find another one of these “snap in” binnacle boxes that has the key switch/horn/emergency switch incorporated into it… Why is it that you don’t feel you have the 174694 binnacle, it sure looks like it to me:
                  http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1988&model=Remote+Controls+1988&section=Remote+Control+-+Binnacle+-+Single+Lever+-+Prewired&yid=34112&mid=34118&sid=37850
                  I would definitely try to find another one of these units in decent used condition….
                  These “snap in cable” units were the best design….Later units with “fits all cable” design, were full of plastic and worked poorly. I’m sure the latest offering from BRP is very expensive, and probably has wiring for new engines….
                  You can even used the box with no trim switch in the handle, simply use your handle with the trim switch….

Tynkertoi
                  Participant

Hi Fleetwin,

I do have the 174696 which has the ignition switch in the package. The 174694 is a similar unit without the ignition switch. I can find the ‘694, but no ‘696’s in any condition. The current BRP 5006186 does have the ignition switch and is wired to mate with new technology engines. But, in essence it has the tilt and trim with a 3 wire connector that is easy to figure out, the neutral cut-out switch with a two wire connector, which is also easy to figure out and the ignition switch that is not that difficult once you match the pin-outs. While it won’t be a true ‘plug and play’ it is not that difficult to wire match to the late 80’s engine harness. Economically, I can get it within $20 of the ‘694 plus the external ignition switch.

Thanks for your thoughts. But unless somebody can come up with a ‘696 in reasonable condition, I think I’ll get the new version.

Tynkertoi

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.