Home Forum Ask A Member Need Help Identifying Motor Year and Model No.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mit&t
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Several years ago, I inherited a vintage Evinrude outboard motor from my father in law when he passed away.  I’m finally getting around to looking closer at it to see if it’s repairable/restorable, but I got stumped right out of the starting blocks trying to identify what year and model it is.  The labeling on the engine cover clearly states it is a “Sportwin Ten” and the details of controls, emblems and paint match a 1958 model I saw in a You-Tube video (photo in first attachment).  So far, so good.  However, the serial number stamped on the plate next to the transom clamp reads “15014-11105″ (photo in second attachment).  After doing a little research, I learned the leading 15014 corresponds to a 1955 15hp motor, not a 1958 10hp motor.  Is it possible that someone took the top portion of a 1958 Sportwin Ten and mated it to the lower unit of a 1955 15hp motor?  Is that combination mechanically compatible?  Also, I measured the shaft length and it is 17 1/2” from where the transom clamp rests on top of the transom to the top of the cavitation plate.  I would appreciate any help y’all could provide to clear up my confusion.  Thanks.

Martin

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see list…. maybe  the cowl was swapped to simultae a 10hp  on a boat maxed out for 10HP

“visual”   HP dowgrading  was also used  to skip under  registration obligations …

or the lucky fit cowl was changed  due to  damages on the original  although  odds of fitting  a 10hp cowl on a 15hp seems low

who knows…  maybe the  mdl plate  was swapped for a 15 ….but it remains a 10hp…..

other parts need to be compared to clear up the mystery

experts here will chime in 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
        fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, it looks like the stern bracket is a lighter blue color than the engine cover for sure.  The engine cover is from a 1958 Sportwin 10hp.  What color is the powerhead, dark or light blue?  What color is the midsection and gearcase, dark or light blue?    Post some more pictures of the rest of the engine.  I don’t think the 58 Sportwin cover would fit over the older 15hp powerhead, but who knows.  We can better tell with more pictures.   The dark blue colored parts are from a 58 Sportwin, the lighter blue colors are from an older model 15-18hp..  Don

The Boat House
          Participant

Steve A W
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is what looks like a core plug in the side of

the crank case. About the size of a Nickle.

It will have the model and serial numbers stamped

in it.

Member of the MOB chapter.
              I live in Northwest Indiana

mit&t
              Participant

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses!  I took off the cover and the powerhead was painted what I would call a dark blue.  I then found the nickel-sized plug and indeed it has a 1958 10hp model number, 10016 (first attachment).  So I definitely have a bit of a Frankenmotor.  I took a closer look at where the 1958 part attaches to the 1955 part and I was not encouraged by what I found.  While there are several fasteners that look ok, there are also many places where there is no threaded boss opposite a mounting hole, there is evidence the original mounting flange had a different footprint than the one that is there now, and some fasteners are not centered in the mounting holes, indicating misalignment and a fastener that is too small.  Examples of all this are in the second-fourth attachments.  Is this project a lost cause?  Thanks.

Martin

frankr
                Participant

Back off with that camera and post a picture of the side view of the entire motor.

mit&t
                  Participant

How’s this?

frankr
                    Participant

Yep, for sure not 1958 10hp powerhead down.  Let’s go with the 15hp because of the tag.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, looks like they plopped the 10hp powerhead on the 15hp leg.  The 10hp motor cover would not fit on the original 15hp lower pans, so they tried to make the 10hp pans fit on the 15hp leg, which they don’t.    No reason not to use it “as is” as long as the lower pans are somewhat secure and the cover fits on OK.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.