Home Forum Ask A Member Need help with Evinrude 7518 Fleetwin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    oldbeagle
    Participant

US Member

Putting together a basketcase 7518 which I understand is a 1955 7.5 hp model.

The recoil was missing so I got one on ebay for an evinrude 7518, but it’s too big. Not even close to fitting. Strangely enough, it turns out that a recoil from a CD-12 model fits and works. Any idea why? Any other recoil models that will work?

Finally, someone kindly gave me the hood for it which I was missing. I mounted it, but it won’t close together. It’s too high on the side that is supposed to open up and it looks like the fuel fitting port/connector is in the way which prevents the hood from coming down a little lower and latching completely closed. Is there another hood design I should be using?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

The recoil was changed in 1956, so obviously the guy sent you a 1956 or newer one. Yes, the CD-12 is the same as yours.

Don’t know what to say about the hood.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

The hood was also changed in 1956. 1956 had lower "pan" cowlings and different motor mounts. Maybe you got a ’56 or newer one of those also.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Post some pictures so we can have a better look at what is going on…

aquasonic
            Participant

US Member

All good advice. If you have a 1955 Fleetwin, then there is only one cowl that will fit…a 1955 Fleetwin cowl.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Aquasonic said;

quote :

If you have a 1955 Fleetwin, then there is only one cowl that will fit…a 1955 Fleetwin cowl.

You seem to have a problem with the Simplex Starter rewind spring . . . 😀

oldbeagle
                Participant

US Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I got the wrong hood. I’ll be looking for the proper recoil and hood then.

bob-d
                  Participant

US Member

There is a nice hood, and parts manual on Ebay.
                    Bob D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-EVINRUDE- … 8Y&vxp=mtr
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Evinrude- … SwUDlastPB

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.