Home › Forum › Ask A Member › NEW MEMBER, with 1927 Evinrude R questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #329551
    Markle Stanberry

      US Member

      Hi, I’m Mark.

       

      If an introductory post is a pre-requisite then my apologies.

      I have a 1927 Evinrude R, its in sad shape but I am a glutton for punishment. It’s going to need a LOT of TLC to be brought back to life.

      Who has parts? Am I going to have to get into casting my own iron cylinders at home?

      Will try to get photos to load…

      1967 Johnson 9.5 "Grandpa"
      1962 Evinrude Sportwin
      1962 Sea King 3hp
      1956 Gale Buccaneer 12hp
      1955 Evinrude Big Twin Electric
      1955 Goodyear Sea Bee 5hp
      1953 Evinrude Big Twin
      1947 Martin 40
      1927 Evinrude Model R

      #329563
      Dale DeHate
      Participant

        US MEMBER PAY BY CHECK

        Hello Mark I know nothing about your old kicker but welcome!   You have quite a variety of motors there.  We have people that are very knowledgeable of those old rudes.   They will be popping in shortly!

        dale

        get’em wet….don’t let’em set!

        1 user thanked author for this post.
        #329564
        PM T2
        Participant

          Canada Member

          The model “R” Fastwin was only built in 1927. It was replaced in the 1928 Evinrude line-up by the bigger and far better 6 HP Fleetwin. With it being a one-year motor, it’s more difficult to find parts for it. I wish I could say that it uses the same lower unit as the smaller Sportwin, but since I know the water pumps are slightly different, that probably isn’t true.

          I guess the approach I’d suggest for you is to figure out if there’s enough of it there for you to at least make it into a runner. From what I can see, its got a carburetor but I can’t tell if its broken or not. If it is, you can use a Tillotson MS-45A carb from a Muncie or Neptune in its place. (stock carb is a Tillotson MS-4A). Your tiller arm is bent up, but that shouldn’t stop it from running, and the parts that are bent can be removed and straightened.. Ditto for the exhaust, the one thats on it will at least let it run.

          Doug Penn or his son Matt Penn are the guys to look up and see if they have parts for your motor.

          I have a model R and it runs pretty well, so its worth putting some effort into.
          20231023_151306

          Best,
          PM T2

          He's livin' in his own private Idaho..... I hope to go out quietly in my sleep, like my grand-dad did..... and not screaming, like the passengers in his car...

          1 user thanked author for this post.
          #329593
          Tubs
          Participant

            Search eBay for antique outboard motor parts. Many members list parts there. Sellers, East Central Collectibles and Antiqueoutboardmotorparts, are both members that have a large collection of parts for sale. You can contact Hunter, Doug, or any other person selling parts, through eBay to see if they may have what you’re looking for.

            A "Boathouse Repair" is one thats done without having tools or the skills to do it properly.

            1 user thanked author for this post.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.