Home Forum Ask A Member New Motor Questions, 1950 Johnson SD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    gjonz
    Participant

That hole…and the one below it with a bolt stuck on it should likely have a Welch plug (Round aluminum dome shaped plug that is stuck in the hole and peened to seal.) to seal the water passages. If these are not sealed properly or there is a leak of any kind the system will not function since it cannot vacuum/siphon water.

My Welch plug fell out of yge same area just as I cane in to dock once. Caught it when I winterized the motor.

Used a replacement from an OMC carb kut me thinks!

I’ll double check when I can to verify I’m correct and not nuts. Or shoot some sure or water through it and you’ll find out if it comes out the scoop on the lower unit.

Greg

david-bartlett
      Participant

Greg,

The bolt below is one of the 3 that hold the exhaust tube to the bottom of the motor. It is not a random bolt stuck in a hole.

There is another hole that is plugged toward the rear of the motor and adjacent to the hole in question. I can come up with some way to plug it.

I noticed on the motor you restored(pics on your website) that this hole seems to be open as well, but could just be that the plug is set in deep. I would gladly appreciate any info you have on this motor.

Thanks again,

David

gjonz
        Participant

Okay. Had some trouble looking at it on my phone…at work. Shhhhhh! Don’t tell!!

I’ll take a look at mine and get back to you!

Sorry about my confusion.

gjonz
          Participant

Okay. I checked my SD20 before leaving for work this morning. It does indeed have a welch plug in that hole. Also checked my SD15 which did as well.

Hope the helps.

Greg

david-bartlett
            Participant

Greg,

Thanks for that info. I wound up using a cut off 38 S&W cartridge case to plug the hole with a little JB weld to hold it there. I thought it a plausible solution, similar to using a Lincoln Head Penny for a plug on the old time Johnson’s.

david-bartlett
              Participant

Well tonight I filled my bucket and gave this thing a spin! I think it runs pretty good, considering I can’t really speed it up without it throwing all the water out. I had to hook the hose up to it to keep things cool in the bucket due to the funky pressure/vacuum cooling system. Maybe tomorrow I will get it in the lake. It is a new experience for me having a separate spark and throttle control. Lots to think about, and could use another arm at times.

Have a look.
                http://vid36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/ … hvjemk.mp4

Steve A W
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

David
                  Sounds good !
                  Let us know how the boat ride goes.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                  I live in Northwest Indiana

david-bartlett
                  Participant

I got out today on Beautiful but small, Lake Christopher(Bryant Pond). Had my SD-20 on my 14′ Mirro-Craft. Life is good.

Steve A W
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Lookin Good ❗ ❗

Member of the MOB chapter.
                      I live in Northwest Indiana

terriblecj
                      Participant

Looks like a very clean little lake. Wish I could find a hidden oasis around here like that. What kind of speeds do you get with that rig?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.