Home Forum Ask A Member new printed copies of antique outboard manuals, any intrest?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    joemallon
    Participant

Hi all, I recently bought an old Champion 2k outboard with the original manual, however the manual was literally falling apart to the point that I didn’t want to flip thru it any more than I absolutely had to for fear that it would do irreparable damage. That being said, I work as a printer in Mentor Ohio and decided to bring my old manual in to work and have it scanned in super high resolution on our professional equipment and had a brand new copy printed out on press and bound in the same way that the original had been. When I saw how nicely it turned out it got me thinking that maybe some of you might be in a similar predicament and would appreciate not only having an original copy but also a brand new one that can be used without fear of damage. I am just trying to put some feelers out there to see if there is any interest in having me print brand new copies. I talked to my boss and he said that we could probably do the books for around $5-$10 each depending on how many pages plus return shipping. Thanks, and please just give me some feedback if you think this would be helpful

Joe

joemallon
      Participant

P.S.
        I am new to these forums and to the world of antique outboards so, if I don’t have this posted properly or if it is in the wrong place please just let me know.

Thanks, Joe

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Would you also be able to clean up the yellowed and or dirty pages? I put a lot of work into some of mine, using Photoshop. But I don’t sell them or if I did, $10 would be too cheap for some of them.

cajuncook1
          Participant
            quote joemallon:

Hi all, I recently bought an old Champion 2k outboard with the original manual, however the manual was literally falling apart to the point that I didn’t want to flip thru it any more than I absolutely had to for fear that it would do irreparable damage. That being said, I work as a printer in Mentor Ohio and decided to bring my old manual in to work and have it scanned in super high resolution on our professional equipment and had a brand new copy printed out on press and bound in the same way that the original had been. When I saw how nicely it turned out it got me thinking that maybe some of you might be in a similar predicament and would appreciate not only having an original copy but also a brand new one that can be used without fear of damage. I am just trying to put some feelers out there to see if there is any interest in having me print brand new copies. I talked to my boss and he said that we could probably do the books for around $5-$10 each depending on how many pages plus return shipping. Thanks, and please just give me some feedback if you think this would be helpful

Joe

I agree the manuals should be preserved for use now and for the future. The manuals i have i freely share with members and nonmembers alike. I do not charge others looking for help and literature.

Thanks for the offer

Cajun

joemallon
            Participant

With my own I did not, as I was more just trying to get a high quality copy to use when I am working on the motor so that I do not have to worry about greasy fingers ect. Basically it is just an exact, completely ledgable copy of my old manual on crisp, new paper however im sure I could have our Pre-Press people restore the images to make larger runs look brand new. I will see if I can post the images of my manual here so you can see how it came out. I am not worried about making anything on them, my boss just wont do things on company time without charging me. I just want to make them available to people

Thanks, Joe

joemallon
              Participant

Couldnt figure out how to attach the image files that our Pre Press people sent me so here are some pictures of the manual i had printed for myself

Attachments:

joemallon
                Participant

i will try to get some more of the single pages so that the manual is up here for people to see online

Attachments:

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Yep, those are pretty typical discoloring.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

I’m with Frank. It takes time to erase the damages that age and use produces. We do it because Restoration and Preservation is what our club is about. . .

squierka39
                      Participant

US Member

In answer to your original question. yes, I think some people would be interested in purchasing a repro manual to go with their motor. At 5-10 dollars it’s reasonable. The Champion 2-K as im sure you know is not the most popular motor around so sales would be limited. If you had the 4-K I would probably buy one myself. Thanks for offering

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.