Home Forum Ask A Member New to me to 26

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

The prop should turn in the forward direction, with some resistance. That’s just the way the clutch works.

Tinman
      Participant

US Member

Well it broke free this evening. Compression was bottom 73/ top 82. Got the starter pawl off. Gas tank off. Pulled the flywheel. Here is what it looks like. Of course I’m unfamiliar with this ignition system. Maybe I should have checked for spark before tearing it apart. Are these fairly trouble free or problematic? Looks like someone before me has repaired some wire leads. If I need to put it back together to check for spark I will. Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_5703

frankr
        Participant

US Member

That motor was made before OMC figured out how to make coils that only lasted five years. 98% of the no-spark problems were dirty breaker points. Take them completely apart, degrease, and individually polish each contact shiny bright. Reassemble and set gap to 0.020″. Do one set at a time so you have a sample how they go together—don’t lose any of the small insulators. Do this and I’ll bet you will have spark.

Tinman
          Participant

US Member

Thanks frankr , will read up on how to do that and get it done then I can go through the carb and lower unit.

lloyd
            Participant

US Member

Judging from your initial compression readings and the appearance of your magneto, you have found a really nice low hour TN26, and well worth your time and patience to get it running right. And as usual Frankr has answered your questions perfectly. Be sure to check and set the gap between the coil heels and the magnet correctly. I cant remember the gap setting at this moment and my service manual is in my shop, but from the looks of your mag they are probably set correctly as is. Notice that the trailing edge of the coil heel is closer to the magnet than the leading coil heel. Check those gaps with a feeler gauge and record the numbers for future reference. And make sure you have a good felt oiler under that magnet to lubricate the crankshaft cams.

Regarding the carb service, the Poche website noted above should answer most or all of your questions, but please note that I had to increase the price of new Leather Primer Seals and Installation instructions (that you will probably need) to $10.00 per set several years ago. Lloyd 231-929-7479

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.