Home Forum Ask A Member New Tool

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    brian
    Participant

I was given a rotozip tool and tried it out cutting gaskets. At first I rough cut and finished up with a dremel tool. With a little practice and experimenting with various cutting bits I have some nice homemade gaskets. I really don’t have a daily need for it, and if it hadn’t been a freebie, I would never have purchased one. I’m making some gasket patterns with it that will allow me to make multiple gaskets at a time. Probably isn’t a new ideal but thought I would share.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

thanks for sharing.. I have one of those and never use it ! now it may serve me better

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Brian, your idea is somewhat intriguing, but would like to hear more.
          I looked on YouTube, but mostly seen demonstrations of cutting drywall.

What are you laying the gasket material on to support it while cutting?
          Cardboard?

Is the depth of the cut adjustable?

How are you holding the gasket material while cutting?
          Taped down?

I can see where a rotory tool would be handy for making
          think gaskets, i.e., head gaskets, etc.

Prepare to be boarded!

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

some kind of template with the gasket material sandwiched between2 layers of cardboard material should do ???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

brian
            Participant

Like crosbyman said, I make a template with two pieces of wood screwed together and a outline of the gasket with the fastener holes, on one piece of the wood, then use the roto tool, or scroll saw, or band saw to cut out the inside for the gasket. Then place a couple pieces of gasket material sandwiched between the two pieces of wood. Cut the inside dimension, drill the holes thru the template, remove material and cut outside of gasket. I paid more than I wanted for an original gasket, but now have made four of them with the template, never needing to use the original. I have also used spare parts to make templates. I probably wouldn’t go to the trouble of making a one off gasket but the templates I made are for common OMC gaskets that I use frequently. There are a couple of OMC powerhead exhaust baffle gaskets that are expensive, although they are very simple gaskets to make. This was my reason for making templates.

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Thanks for the explanation. I can see where your tool
                and method would be handy for thick or otherwise
                hard to cut (with scissors) gaskets.

Prepare to be boarded!

rudderless
                Participant

Anyone ever hammer one out with a ball peen hammer? Sometimes that is the best method..sometimes not.

kerry
                  Participant

US Member
                    quote rudderless:

Anyone ever hammer one out with a ball peen hammer? Sometimes that is the best method..sometimes not.

Yes, back in the day that was the best Old School method everyone used if a factory gasket was NLA. With the invent of modern tools, like the Rotozip, and my favorite, the Dremel, and a set of hole punches, https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-h … -3838.html its so much easier.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Mumbles
                    Participant
                      quote rudderless:

All the time. I use a very small ball peen hammer made for this and it’s the only way I know of to get the outline of a gasket. Empty cartridge cases make good punches for certain holes to.

A Hoskins
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have both hammered out gaskets and traced the outline onto gasket material if I had an old gasket to work with. Either way, I do the final cut with a #11 Exacto and I work on a sheet of plate glass. I finish the job with a small sanding drum on my Dremel as necessary. I make the holes with either hole punches or brass shell casings but I don’t punch them. I like to spin the tools with my drill press and basically drill the holes out with a piece of hardwood as a backing plate. This makes for a real clean job. From time to time, the hole punches can be sharpened up with a hand reamer.

"Fox News" isn't.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.