Home Forum Ask A Member Non-vintage OMC question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

My poontoon boat is powered by an ’88 Johnson 28SPL Model # J28ESLCCR that has been a absolutely wonderful motor. Feed it gas, plugs and a water pump every six or eight years, and it’s happy. This thing looks for all the world to be the same dimensionally as every 20 & 25 HP OMC outboard. There’s a NOS OMC trim kit that fits 20-25 hp motors on eBay right now….P/N 0173669. Does anyone have access to old parts books, etc. to be able to tell me if this will fit my motor?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Don’t have the answer to your question, but that looks nothing like he power tilt kit in the 1988 Accessories parts book. That’s all I know–or not.

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member

Im with FrankR on this one. Couple of problems with this. The first is the tilt kit listed seems all wrong. Accessory kit #173737 would seem to be the proper kit for a 1988 20,25, or 35 hp motor. Unfortunately that does not include your 28 Special anyway. Part of what made up your motor as a Special is the older type two piece gearcase & midsection. Even if this were the right kit it would not be for your motor. I’m pretty sure things are different on your model. Stern brackets, tilt tube, other geometry. If you look at the 1988 Accessories section on Marine Engine.com you will see as FrankR mentions the pump looks nothing like this setup.
          This kit looks more like a tilt assist kit for a 2 or 3 cylinder motor of an older vintage. Just a guess, but that’s where you see those type pump & reservoir assy. Hope that helps!

Dan in TN

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.