Home Forum Ask A Member Not an outboard but a seafoam story ….

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Tubbs,

when i used the term moonshine it was not seriously but a replacement to alchool the stuff we use in the winter in out gas tanks to absorb water which think seafoam does !

I certainly would not use up my “moonshine” to mix up a batch 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

The Boat House
        Participant

chris-p
          Participant

Its like $10 a can in my area. Not worth trying to replicate myself! Cheap enough to get the real thing.

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member

I have outboards come through the shop fairly often that have gummed up carburetors. The owner tries an additive in the gas, then goes out and runs up and down the lake in an attempt to clean the carburetor, that has plugged or restricted passages. Since all fuel must pass through the high speed jet, (along with the lubricating oil!) then up through the main well and through the low speed jet, (even smaller in size) the owner ends up with a scored cylinder, and ruins the power head. Of course, I always check the compression first, and if low, I take a gas sample. I’ve learned to spot the ”look” of certain additives in fuel, and often times I find out that the customer tried 2 cans of magic additive, thinking he can really fix it quick. Since I own and operate a marine repair shop, I’ve seen a lot of this sort of thing. Lots of engines have been running for years with proper maintenance and care, and without magic additives. Nothing beats a good carb overhaul and cleaning.. Just my humble opinion, respectfully

outboardnut
              Participant

US Member
                aquasonic
                Participant

US Member

Nothing beats a good carb overhaul and cleaning..

I agree with that 100%. Seafoam can solve some minor carb problems, but is no substitute for a complete disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild (if necessary).

Where Seafoam really shines is as an additive. Once a carburetor is clean, adding one ounce per gallon of gas to all of my outboard and power equipment fuel, has resulted in zero carburetor problems over the past seven years or so. That is just my experience, and has no real scientific value.

Some independent scientific research on this stuff would be really interesting. It’s always been mysterious…I guess that’s part of the allure.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

they must have added some moonshine to it 🙂 🙂 🙂

guys this generating a lot of controversy….I just wanted to share my Honda snowblower story (no more backfires)
                    maybe hoping that it could … solve or….dissolve some bad performance issues in your oldies 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

aquasonic
                    Participant

US Member

guys this generating a lot of controversy….

Not controversy, interest… All of the different opinions and testimonials are what makes it that way!

Mumbles
                      Participant

What are these ‘snowblower’ things you guys talk about? I’m not familiar with them.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.