O-Ring replacement for the needle packing washers?

Home Forum Ask A Member O-Ring replacement for the needle packing washers?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)

• mr-asa

Replies: 794
    Topics: 138

I went looking for a part number earlier. Found a lot of reference to 201b, but that’s the one between the two halves of the carburetor. I mean #62

ede

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 181
    Topics: 7

item number 62 is the valve packing p/n 307583 I don’t believe there is any substitute for those washers, as in an O ring

mr-asa

Replies: 794
    Topics: 138

I’m not looking for an official OMC approved part. I’d just like a buna or other fuel resistant o-ring to fit.

I know a couple people use them, and I’d like to start as the one thing I hate more than anything about these motors is cleaning out those old frigging fiber washers from the ports.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

I don’t know the number off hand, but I have been known to do what you are proposing. It worked "sort of" ok. Sure was gummy/sticky to turn though. Probably 1/4" I.D. x 3/32" thick. Or 1/16" thick. I dunno.

dan-in-tn

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 961
    Topics: 78

Those packing washers that have been in those motors for up to 65 yrs now we’re made of an asbestos material. No one likes to dig them out, but you only have to do that once. The next time should be easier. The new washers are made from a fiberous material (more like cardboard, but harder). The washers perform two functions as I am sure most are aware. They seal around the needle and packing nut (prevent air leaks) and provide adjustable friction for the needles. (In the case of the ’56 30hp it sets the thread insert for the low speed needle) I agree the washers cost more than it seems they should ($1.06ea), but you get six in a carb kit and most carbs only call for 4. I am a complete kit buyer (OEM) and replacer when I overhaul a carburetor. Of course that is just me. I don’t like leaky carburetors and flooding motors.
    BTY: They aren’t any cheaper from Sierra either! There is not much markup on that little part. I bought a 1000 and managed to get the price down some. That’s why I decided to start buying kits. It isn’t worth it to just scrimp on that one little part. IMHO

Dan in TN

pappy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 616
    Topics: 37

Mr. Asa……..there is saying about never having time to do the job right, but always having the time to do it twice.
    That applies to parts as well.

Like Dan said, several come in an OEM kit and you don’t need to use all of them.
    In the OEM kits I use two fibers and then install one nylon to be used as a bearing face against the packing nut.

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72
    quote Pappy:

Mr. Asa……..there is saying about never having time to do the job right, but always having the time to do it twice.
    That applies to parts as well.

Like Dan said, several come in an OEM kit and you don’t need to use all of them.
    In the OEM kits I use two fibers and then install one nylon to be used as a bearing face against the packing nut.

Amen! 😉

vintin

Replies: 580
    Topics: 19

I used 1/4id X 3/8od. with good results last time I replaced mine. $.55 at the local ace hardware. I was in a pinch.

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

Slow and high speed packing (dimensions from Sierra washer packing 18-7106 and OMC 0307583

Dimension

OD 9.5mm or 0.375 inches 3/8 inch

ID 6.43mm or 0.253inches 1/4 inch

thickness 1.6mm and 0.063inches 1/16 inch

wedgie

Replies: 1041
    Topics: 78
    quote cajuncook1:

Slow and high speed packing (dimensions from Sierra washer packing 18-7106 and OMC 0307583

Dimension

OD 9.5mm or 0.375 inches 3/8 inch

ID 6.43mm or 0.253inches 1/4 inch

thickness 1.6mm and 0.063inches 1/16 inch

Thanks for posting those measurements Cajun. I found one in my box of o-ring all sorts is a perfect match. 🙂
    pictures upload

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.