Home Forum Ask A Member Old lightwin cooling questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Two part question…
      First, do I have that lower crankcase cooling cap oriented correctly? Seems like it would fit a few different ways. I oriented it this way because the crankcase seemed to be relieved underneath the cap corresponding to the cooling outlet hole in the cap… I don’t want to take the cap back off, but will if I have it wrong. I should have paid more attention when I pulled it off.
      The second question is about the theory behind this crazy cooling set up…Why the heck is the cooling water outlet from the block directed over to, and around the crankshaft this way? Just seems like this is a recipe for a rusted lower bushing and splines. Obviously, it doesn’t seem to have any negative effects. Why would the area around the bottom of the crankshaft need to be “cooled”? There must be some sort of logical reason that I am just not seeing… Later models didn’t cool this way. The only thing I can come up with is that the engineers wanted to cooling water to shoot down on the driveshaft which would spray it around the exhaust housing and help cool that area…
      I’m rejuvinating this lightwin for my brother in law…Someone used this thing in salt water and plugged up the passages pretty good. I decided to pull this cap off to check the passages underneath.

IMG_0933

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by Mumbles.
      Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

This is from a 1952. From the diagram, the water outlet appears
        to be pointing forward. Is this like yours?

52_3HPpg.4

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The water is routed around the crankshaft bearing to cool the bearing. The hot exhaust is in the area.
          I don’t remember the orientation without some research.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well the picture seems to indicate that the outlet hole is facing forward, which is the way mine is positioned…Thanks!

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so the idea is to cool the lower bearing area…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.