Home Forum Ask A Member OMC 502187 Carb rework kit?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I just picked up a bunch of NOS OMC stuff that was going to get tossed out, by the place where I work. I found this box, 502187, “Carb rework kit.” It is not antique by any means. It appears to be one of the later 6/7.5/8 hp vintage carbs, with the plastic cover on top. It is an entire carburetor, plus It also has a new, tiller handle-mounted stop switch-and-lanyard assembly in the box. I don’t remember ever seeing any kind of bulletin like that. Does anybody know what this was about? I found almost nothing about it on the Web.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by billw.
      fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is a rework kit for the 93 9.9-15hp models, the first year to the new design.  The kit included a new carburetor because there was no screw/mount for one corner of the plastic top cover, causing an air leak in the idle circuit.  No way to fix the original carbs, so the new carb was part of the update kit.  The original side mounted stop switches for these engines were troublesome also, thus the new stop switch.  I’m not sure if your kit is for a 9.9 or 15hp model though, perhaps the instructions in the kit will clarify.  If indeed, it is a 15hp carb, it is worth some dough, people are always wanting to “convert” their 9.9s to 15.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you! That helped nail it down, quite a bit! There was no direction sheet in the box; but the carb itself did have a part number sticker(436780), which I found to be in a string of number changes for a 15….So that’s good I guess!

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah buddy!  That carburetor is worth its weight in gold these days.  And, that stop switch is an expensive part as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.