Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Binnacle/verticle control schematics/instructions/manual

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    dan-in-tn
    Participant

US Member

OK, if it has that type of ignition switch we know it is 1996 or later (SystemCheck). You told me BRP so that was a no brainer! I have looked at all of BRP single binnacle boxes and they have the same BLACK button just behind the handle on the box mounting bezel. It’s about 3/4" square. In neutral you press it down and advance the lever to advance the throttle only. When you bring the lever back to neutral the button will pop up and you are ready to shift then again as normal. The handle can be put on in any position and you must find neutral before the button can be pushed to disengaged the box from shifting. You may have it out of sync if you haven’t mounted it yet?
      While we are at it, I want to clear up any confusion anyone has over this type kill lanyard this motor uses. From 1996 forward OMC/BRP use a mechanical kill switch. That means all the device does is turn the key off. Once the lanyard is pulled off you can restart the motor if need be and continue on. Before OMC had an electrical kill switch that grounded the ignition system with a switch activated when the lanyard was pulled off a button switch. Some boat manufacturers still install that switch today, but most are just the mechanical type. They simple turn the key off when activated.

Dan in TN

johnyrude200
      Participant

you up late still figuring out that 20hp 🙂 and I thought I was the only one staying up until 1am working on these things!

duh, now I see it!

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member

Glad you found it. Not so happy they tried to hide it and it is hard to use there. Definitely a two handed affair. Did you get the kill lanyard explanation? Not very happy with that dialogue after posted. Must have been sleepy! A lot of people have trouble understanding why they can start their motor back up with the lanyard in their hand! So different than before. Puts all of the responsibility on the user.
          I have come to the conclusion that the little 20hp won’t reach WOT because of wear and slop in the whole throttle mechanism. Someone mentioned this and after looking over each area I believe I’m just losing a little here and there resulting not enough movement to reach the desired affect. Done worrying about it.

Dan in TM

johnyrude200
          Participant

The other reason why didn’t see that button is because there is supposed to be a rubber boot/cover that goes over it. None of the parts binnacle control boxes in my posession still have them. I was wondering what that silver ‘knub’ was, especially since it protrudes up through the plastic cover.

Thanks for all the patience with this learning curve…now I’m familiar with controls and starting systems!

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.