Home Forum Ask A Member OMC cork fuel tank float replacement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

I’m restoring a couple ’50’s OMC pressure-style fuel tanks, and the cork floats are really, really nasty. I’ve had the brilliant (??) idea of soldering on a brass float outta’ a Holley 4-bbl …just because I have several in my stash. If anyone’s got a better, less crude idea for a replacement, I’d love to hear it.

Thanks!

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

nj-boatbuilder57
      Participant

I, too, am wondering if there’s a better, more-modern solution. The available replacement from marineengine.com is also a varnished cork, and I would have thought by now a more modern alternative would be available.

cork from marineengine: http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … OMC0302559

I tried using a cork from a wine bottle, but it sank like a stone in the gas. I guess it’s not big enough to offer enough displacement to float the mechanism.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

A number of years ago, I bought a couple of Nitrophyl floats intended for antique Ford fuel gauges, intending to modify them for carb floats, but never did.. I’ll have to do some digging to find the details, or even find them if I still have them.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

This probably isn’t where I got them, but you get the idea
            https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mode … t&x=18&y=8

melugin
            Participant

US Member

I wonder if a plastic wine bottle stopper might work. Tan color, but not a natural product. I shaved one down today to plug a missing gas can cap. I might have to go to the store soon to continue the research. I know they are at least alcohol resistant. Pretty close dimensionally, too.

Anonymous

Coat a new float with model airplane dope. Fuel proof when coated and still look and operate the same.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Actually, a new cork float should have an alcohol proof coating already. Old ones had a shellac coating, which alcohol dissolves.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

Yup! If you coat the wine cork just like you’d coat a cork carb float it will not soak up the gasoline. Beware that not all brands of hot fuel proof model airplane dope work. I had one brand that flaked off.
                    Dave

The Boat House
                    Participant

I’d be trying your idea if the
                      carburetor floats are big enough.

olcah
                      Participant

US Member

My local ACE Hardware sells very large cork stoppers. They are about the same size as the old tank corks although they are tapered. I coat them with airplane dope. They work fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.