Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Outboard Tank 5/16" Fuel Line Hose

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

You at least need Coast Guard approved type A1 for above deck outboard fuel line. The new stuff (B15) has the internal vapor barrier lining. The new hose is a royal pain IMO, because the barrier lining can come loose and partially or completely obstruct fuel flow. If you don’t get Quicksilver or BRP hose, and decide to go to Wal Mart, for example, your’ throwing your money away! Some dealers stock and sell the new B15 hose in bulk, so I would go that route. As far as using the old black Gates or Dayco hose, it will work just fine,
      but lacks the A1 rating with regards to open flame (fire) resistance. My gripe with using the Gates black hose, is after it stays in the sun awhile, it leaves a nasty black coating on your hands.
      Having said all of that, I have had good luck with, and use the Quicksilver type (B15) silver colored hose. I have put it on a gazillion of my customers boats, year after year with no issues. I’ve replaced a truck load of Wal mart, Sierra (the worst IMO) and other aftermarket hoses with the Quicksilver stuff. Be sure your Quicksilver hose has the BLUE print on it. If you find some of the old hose with RED print, don’t use it! That stuff WILL fall apart on the inside, and cause major headaches. I’m not sure if i’ts the modern fuel that does this, or just the age of the hose? At any rate, it should be discarded and replaced.

Attachments:

amuller
      Participant

OK, I will take this as authoritative. What’s the part number for buying it in bulk and how much does it cost. Do you use this under the hood also? There is some for sale on ebay for $4.50/foot under this mart number: 32-8M0038500, which is listed as the part number for a 100 ft role in this bulletin: http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/Merc_ … 008-11.pdf, but without the 32- prefix.

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

The 5/16 ID fuel line is part # 32-8m0038500. Current list price is $265.00 per 100 ft. roll.. I would think $3.00 a foot would be reasonable?

As far as using it under the cowl, I don’t see why that would be a problem, however this hose is not as flexible as the standard black stuff. Complex bends and routing may be an issue there.

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

My neighbor bought an Attwood gasline at Walmart this year and I changed a connector for him to the one he needed – the Attwood hose no longer has that inner layer that can collapse. There may still be old stock out there though.
            Dave

amuller
            Participant

I incline to the view that any hose with a thin membrane liner is likely to be problematic eventually. The EPA is concerned primarily with permeation, and the Coast Guard with fire resistance. But is it realistic to expect that the liner will stay in place permanently when the hose is left out in the sun, kinked, squashed under the rim of a portable, tank, etc?
              Can regular hose allow enough permeation to create a flammable atmosphere in the bilge? I’m thinking of my Crestliner with the bow tank. There would be on the order of 20 feet of line between the tank and the motor. The space is made to be ventilated under way but because it’s an outboard there is no blower, per usual. Perhaps it would be better to use copper or aluminum lines with hose sections at the ends?

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member

I think the permeation rating is about pollution, and protecting the environment. I’ts hard for me to emagine how that much fuel vapor could bleed through a fuel hose.. but if every fuel line in the world is leaking vapors, it all adds up.
                With regards to your Crestliner, I would suggest using Shields fuel supply hose, the same stuff used in I/O or Stern drive/inboard applications. Run it up to a barb that mounts say, through the splash well of the boat. On the other end is another barb to hook a standard fuel line to. many bass boats are set up this way. That stuff lasts forever, and has all the appropriate coast guard specs for enclosed areas. if you have an O’reilly store in your area, they should have it.

Attachments:

amuller
                Participant

Yes, the permeation thing is about reducing VOC emissions. But somebody mentioned fire hazard and it got me to wondering if that could be an issue.

I found some Shields hose when looking for the Merc stuff, but it was different from the picture here. It would be a lot easier to install than metal tube, no worry about fatigue and corrosion….

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.