Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Prop, 387334 Application guide?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have this NOS prop, OMC #387334. It is shear pin drive, 8×7, three blade. I was kind of proud of myself, in that I looked at it and thought, “That looks like it belongs on a nine-and-a-half.” I looked up a 9.5, 1971 and sure enough, that was the stock prop listed. My question is, what ELSE will it fit, if anything? I assume it will physically fit a LOT of things; but as an actual, recommended application, I don’t know. I know we have a Michigan prop data base, but what about OMC props? I am particularly wondering if it might be a good prop for my ’56 Fleetwin 7.5, on my very light boat?

EDIT: I am too lazy to go look right now, but it occurs to me that the Fleetwin shear pin is probably more near the prop NUT; so this prop is out for that. But I still wonder what else it fits?

Long live American manufacturing!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by billw.
      Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Maybe this chart will help….

Propeller-Chart

Prepare to be boarded!

Mumbles
        Participant

’58 – ’63 ten horse props are the same as ones used on the 9.5’s.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well the 7″ pitch three blade props will fit 6hp and 9.5hp models. It will fit older small gearcase 10hps also. This 7″ pitch prop is probably that highest pitch that a 6hp can handle. The 9.5hps came with an 8″ prop, but the 7″ prop is a good alternative in many cases due to it’s low power output. The 10hps came with the 8″ prop, and can often use the 9″ pitch prop. The 7″ prop will usually cause the old 10hps to over rev.
            This prop won’t fit on the older 5.5/7.5hps models with the rubber prop nose cone due to different shear pin location like Bill says…

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks guys. I will try to print that OMC prop chart for future reference! You know what’s going to happen now, right? I will have to find a 9.5 engine to go with my prop. God help me….

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks guys. I will try to print that OMC prop chart for future reference! You know what’s going to happen now, right? I will have to find a 9.5 engine to go with my prop. God help me….

Well, if anyone can conquer a 9.5, it’s you buddy…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.