Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Shift Rod O-Ring Removal

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    aquasonic
    Participant

US Member

At last, the bushing is removed using Frank’s method. With some heat around the bushing housing, flipped the lower unit over, and the bushing drove out nice and easy with a 1/4″ steel rod. The bent shifting fork in the picture was the reason for opening the gearcase in the first place. The shifter pin was totally disconnected from the shifter rod.

shift-rod-o-ring-removed

billy-j
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

While one the subject of shift rod bushings. Why do some OMC motors have a fiber washer in the shift rod bushing bore and others do not?

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve seen this before, and some of the newer models have a plastic washer.   What model are you working on with a fiber washer?

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Shift-Rod-Bushing-Reinstallation

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Frank, I remember that now…

seakaye12
              Participant

US Member

Yes Frank;  Thank You!  That was very helpful.

billy-j
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve seen this before, and some of the newer models have a plastic washer.   What model are you working on with a fiber washer?

It was a 1956  Johnson 30HP.

billy-j
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Shift-Rod-Bushing-Reinstallation

So to clarify ( type one bushing ) drive it to the bottom edge of the little chamfer  on the top of the bore in the die cast lower unit housing the bushing enters. In doing so is there space for the whole ” O ”  to actually travel slightly up and down in the bore when moving the shift shaft?  Also any pointers on installing shift shaft thru  “O ” ring without damaging new  “O” ring? I usually slightly smooth the sharp edges of the end of shift shaft were it goes into shift coupler.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

That is correct.  As for damaging the new o-ring, I don’t think that is a common problem.  Of course, any obvious burrs should be polished off as you suggest.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.