Home Forum Ask A Member OMC starter replacements 1957 35 HP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    oldlure
    Participant

US Member

Just looking for confirmation on a replacement starter from someone who has done it. I have a 1957 35 HP Johnson RDE-19M. It has the Autolite MD04002M starter. I have other motors I could take one from and I am aware they can be rebuilt. The motor is at my weekend place and I have not disassembled it for inspection.
      With that said is the Arco 5376 a direct bolt on replacement?
      Has anyone installed a new brush holder like this one for sale on Ebay on this actual starter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294396799436?hash=item448b6aa9cc:g:p8MAAOSwdyphQRF1

Thanks in advance for all responses.
      Mike

2 users thanked author for this post.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member

That brush holder won’t work on your 1957 starter.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        nj-boatbuilder57
        Participant

I tried rebuilding an old dead starter for my ’57 35HP javelin. I gave up and took a chance on one of these $60 no-name eBay starters. https://www.ebay.com/itm/143551363592 I figured it was worth a try.

All I can say is that a.) it bolted right in, b.) it fired right up and c.) 3 years & a ton of starts later, it’s still going strong.

oldlure
          Participant

US Member

Thanks nj-boatbuilder57.
            Was the positive cable connection in the same location, plenty of clearance? Looking at the pictures the new starters appear to have the connector midway between the mounting bolts. I don’t think the original starter is that way.

nj-boatbuilder57
            Participant

My engine was a complete rebuild…mechanically & electrically…with all-new wiring. I measured out new cables and cut / terminated as needed, so I had no issues. Will a pre-existing OMC harness work? I’m afraid I don’t know / can’t say.

What I CAN say, however, is that the (+) terminal didn’t mechanically interfere with anything else under the hood. No danger of shorting out…at least on my engine, anyway.

olcah
              Participant

US Member

I ran an EBay starter on my 30HP 1956 Johnson all summer (about 50 gal used). It worked fine although I needed a starter bracket for a 12V starter to mount it.

outboardnut
                Participant

US Member

This is what I was planning on buying for
                  1955 RDE-17 25 Johnson
                  Yep I have 12 volt bracket
                  https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/starter-for-evinrude-outboard-e25e-e25el-e25te-e25tel-1966-1998-sab0109.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.